• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 AVY instrument cluster repair?

deaner69

Hi Everybody

I have a 2003 AVY 1500 z71 and the gauges are going wonky sometimes. Sometimes the speedometer will be doing 220 km but the tach at 1500 but all the other gauges are working just fine except the oil. it is maxed out. even when vehicle is turned off. then sometimes the tach won't work but the speedometer is working just fine. but 90 % of the time the cluster just fine. it sometimes takes a couple days before everything is working again and it can be like for weeks before it starts acting up again but it always corrects itself. A used cluster in British Columbia, Canada starts at 500 bucks. I was told that you can remove the cluster and turn the pins??? any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I am not ready to drop 500 on a used cluster pack.

TIA

Dean

There's a ton of videos on YouTube for repairing the clusters...there's also a couple of companies on you tube that will replace all the servos that drive the gauges and install leds and fix other issues for less than $200...you just send in you cluster.  But if you are competent with a solder iron you can fix your own.  Most issues are due to cracked solder joints at the resistors that have heat cycled over the years.  Reflow the pads and youre good to go.

Has anyone here used the companies to repair their clusters?? Which ones in particular?

There are many of them out there.

A guy near me does other stuff too. He installed my blue LED's that I already had, installed my white face and swapped out my White needles for some blue ones. (I had done the transmission upgrade from a 2500 truck I bought a cluster from. Before finding out how easy it was to upgrade mine.)

I was able to drop it off to him and pick it up 2 hours later. He offers lifetime warranties for his work. He also fixed  my Mirror that wasn't reading anymore.

dashdr.com

But if you search there are many of them that do this.

redheadedrod said:
There are many of them out there.

A guy near me does other stuff too. He installed my blue LED's that I already had, installed my white face and swapped out my White needles for some blue ones. (I had done the transmission upgrade from a 2500 truck I bought a cluster from. Before finding out how easy it was to upgrade mine.)

I was able to drop it off to him and pick it up 2 hours later. He offers lifetime warranties for his work. He also fixed  my Mirror that wasn't reading anymore.

dashdr.com

But if you search there are many of them that do this.

Thanks a bunch, my nephew in Dallas tore his out of his 2002 Silverado  and messed it up and I just sent him the link, looks interesting and I may update my 2003 Avy through them as I am not keen on doing it myself.

There's a lot options out there. This is the company
I went with. They customize OME clusters. Great
people to work with. I just like to plug them when
ever I can. 

https://www.ebay.com/usr/digital-dash-solutions?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Now is the time to add a Trans Temp.

Back