• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

CONFUSED OLD GUY...OK, I ran the VIN

nwguy

SM 2018
Howdy, new old guy here. Had my Ave delivered yesterday evening and started to do some homework.

I ran the VIN
ON MY "new" 2006 Avalanche on one of those free sites where you can do those things.
It came back saying it was an LS, which is supposed to have cloth seats, NO sunroof etc,
BUT
the Avalanche is sticker-ed with LT and Z71 on the side.
It has just about everything including the butt warmers and mirrors that move.

SO

I ran it on a different free site and it came up the same way as an LS.
THis is in the glove box, and it looks like a lot of stuff with it, but it doesn't say anything I can understand.

ANYWAY
I have to believe it is an LT Z71 but the VIN keeps coming up LS

any ideas?

Thanks and have patience as I am not the most computer savy person on the block.

Those are RPO codes to look up. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,84494.msg1536742.html#msg1536742

It's an LS with all kinds of options including the Z71 package as you can see on the GB decal. The two '05s I had were both LS with the Z71 package.  (y)

nwguy said:
OK, but why does it have an LT on each side just behind the passenger doors?

(excuse the sloppy arrow pointing to the LT badge)

Has to be because of the options on it. Mine had those also.

nwguy said:
OK, but why does it have an LT on each side just behind the passenger doors?

(excuse the sloppy arrow pointing to the LT badge)

Nice find. :woot:  Welcome to the club.  :wave:

Just a side bar here... I looked at a "z71" Tahoe a few months ago at a used car lot. Looked under the "z71" which had the sicker/badge, and no transfer case/shaft/front driveline. Buyer beware.

Just go by the RPO codes as that is how it was made.

now if yo uwant detailed bring VIN to dealership and run detailed report.

ckeene said:
Just a side bar here... I looked at a "z71" Tahoe a few months ago at a used car lot. Looked under the "z71" which had the sicker/badge, and no transfer case/shaft/front driveline. Buyer beware.
With the 2nd gen avalanches, they did away with the z71 as a 4x4 only vehicle. It's now a package but does not mean it has to be 4x4. That started in either 07 or 08. I know for sure there was 2wd z71 in 08 but not sure about in 07.

nwguy, I would trust the glovebox RPO codes more than decals or emblems on the side of the AV since they can be added or deleted by original owners or dealerships.
I know for awhile many members didn't like badges at all and they posted about removing them. I myself didn't care for the big Z71 decals on my 2004 AV so i removed them and installed chrome badges saying Z71 on my C pillars where you have your LT badges.
Other members added SS emblems to the doors or tailgates near the AV badges or even supercharged emblems even though the factory never made a SS or supercharged model.
My 2008 AV came without decals but had a slightly different badge already on the C pillar labeling it a Z71 and it is a 4wd. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0049 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0049 (Small).JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 6
I would like to run the numbers on my 2003 2WD with 8.1. Where can I get this info? What website, etc?

paulk865 said:
I would like to run the numbers on my 2003 2WD with 8.1. Where can I get this info? What website, etc?
It can be found here as in above post:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,84494.msg1536742.html#msg1536742

(second post in thread covers 2003 AVs)

Back