• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

WIPERS do not turn offfffffffffffffffffffffff

nwguy

SM 2018
SO, went out to do some familiarization with my "new" 2006 and started it and the wiper swiped the windshield.
I checked the switch, indicated as off.
but
it appears to be in intermittent mode even though off. I have cycled through the system a dozen times and turned it on and off lots of times. Still about every ten seconds it cycles across the windshield.

Not that it should make a difference but it was below zero last night and close the night before.
Anyone had anything like that before?

Disregard...I tried a search here and didn't find anything but a google search turned up LOTS of responses here at this site????
anyway,
found this is not a unique situation.
thanks for looking.

I had this happen with my old vehicle. Was related to a cracked housing for the motor controller which was part of the motor and when it got wet it would do that. Which only happened when I power washed under the hood or the rain was very heavy.

Ended up replacing the motor but probably could have been re-sealed with some silicon. Don't know if that is your issue but was for that vehicle.

THe wiper motor cover.... replace it.
ISsue for GM since they made wipers I think....

Cover has motherboard which goesbad and your wipers either never work or always work...when it fails

I've never had my wipers fail to turn off but I have had to replace the wiper motor module 2 or 3 times in the last 15 years / 315K miles...

A little bit off of the topic, but this reminded me of an experience I had a long time ago.

This was back in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

I had just spent a week of management training in New Orleans and was headed back home to Little Rock.

My chosen travel path was to take me up I-55 to Memphis and then across i-40 over to Little Rock.

Not the most direct route, but it worked for me.

I was driving a 1978 Gold Special Edition Pontiac Trans Am.

As I was leaving NOLA, I was driving in a pretty good storm and had to use my wipers full on until the rain began to break up around Jackson, MS.

When I went to turn off the wipers, they stayed on.

No amount of cussing or banging on the dash made any difference.

There I was, a young, clueless punk in a Trans Am on a late Sunday afternoon, with no money to spare and no idea where to find any local help out in the middle of no where Mississippi.

I ended up pulling the wiper fuse to get them to stop and would have to pull over and reinstall the fuse if it started raining much again.

Ended up being the dash wiper switch was bad.

Thinking back, I can't believe I was smart enough to think to pull the fuse.

I hope I would still be smart enough to think of that now.

(y)

Yeah there is a circuit board under the cover that has full battery power if water gets in the only way to turn it off is to pull the fuse.

I had that happen about 10 years ago, I pulled the cover got rid of the moisture and checked for corrosion applied RTV to the seal and reinstalled,

ouch that was a costly trip!  But glad you got it took care of.

Didit

Back