• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

oil usage in my 5.3

2013avalanche

Is there issues with the 5.3 engine using oil before the 5,000 mile oil change? I have 24,000 miles, change oil every 5,000 miles by GM dealership along with tire rotation. I decided to check dipstick around at 24,0000 miles(1,000 miles before due to oil change) and dipstick was down 3/4.

What year? Some people have had issues with the 4/8 cylinder system and disable it. Not sure what years it is an issue or if it is ANY truck with it. But that is the only oil usage issue I have heard of. Think its called AFM? My truck doesn't have it. When my truck (An '03) was loosing oil it was due to leaking valve cover gaskets mostly.

So are you saying it's down 3/4 of a quart in 4,000 miles, that's nothing. All cars/trucks use some oil.

I see you don't drive it much by your miles only 24,000, I would change the frequency to once every 3 months or 3,000 miles.

I'm retired, have 2 vehicles, no hauling heavy loads, and the miles driven are highway miles when it is driven

I'm retired also, I don't let oil sit in it over 90 days.

I go through a quart of oil probably every 4,000 miles or so.  Granted, mine is ten years older and has 160,000 miles on it.  I don't know what part of the country you live, but mine seems to go through oil more quickly when it's very cold as was half of our January vs. when it's warmer. 

Yes, SOME 2010 to 2013 like my 2013 Avy with 5.3 engine had excessive oil consumption >1 qt per 1000 miles. GM under my warranty replaced the pistons and rings. I'm told by a former GM mechanic that the top oil ring on some pistons would  collect carbon and stick causing the oil consumption. Yours does not seem excessive with less than a quart per 4000 miles. Since my new rings and pistons, I have seen no consumption of oil in my 3000 mile oil change intervals. My Avy had 20000 miles when the pistons and rings weed replaced. It has about 65,000 miles on it now and I occasionally tow a 6700 pound Travel trailer. Hope this helps.
Ption
frito said:
I go through a quart of oil probably every 4,000 miles or so.  Granted, mine is ten years older and has 160,000 miles on it.  I don't know what part of the country you love  :jacked: with ve, but mine seems to go through oil more quickly when it's very cold as was half of our January vs. when it's warmer. 

Back