• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Front end parts replacement - best order/plan of attack

ashamsuddin

So I took my Avalanche to a trusted alignment shop for a front-end inspection because I've got a good deal of creaking and popping under there (almost 290k miles).

He said I need:
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Both lower ball joints
One upper ball joint has a torn boot
Both inner tie rods

So I'm planning to just do it ALL, including both uppers, and new outer tie rods, just to not have to mess with anything later.  Planning to go with MOOG problem solvers all around. I saw a suggestion to do the bracket along with the idler arm.  Thoughts?

So my question is: how would you attack this project?  One side at a time? Try to just do it all over a couple days? (I work slow)

It's a 1500, RWD.

I have a pickle fork attachment for my air hammer, an idler arm puller, and an inner tie rod tool, all from Harbor Freight.  Will I need anything else for the ball joints?  I never hesitate to buy the right tools for the job because of what I'm saving on labor.  Besides, it's fun.

So if you were doing this job, what's the order you would go in to replace all these parts?

I plan to do the same too so subscribing.  I just did the same on a restoration of a 90 dakota and the pickle fork didn't touch the tie rod ends on the lower ball joints.  It took a tie rod remover clamp and a pneumatic impact wrench.  Also my ball joints were pressed into the control arms...the c clamp kit from harbor freight didn't have enough oomph either.  I ended up taking the entire control arm out and using a 12 ton press to remove the ball joints.  Don't know if the chevy are press or screw type so that may be moot.  Plus the 90 was a bit neglected and rusted so everything was more difficult.  Lastly instead of buying the tools like tie rod wrench and ball joint clamps you can borrow them for free from your local advance auto or autozone.  Good luck on your project and please post any hints or tricks you discover.

The order preference, looks like you have the time. I just
worked from the torsion bars forward. Look at the
mounting brackets on the torsion bars. Then tie rods,
then tackled each side. Look at this it made such an
improvement on mine with the gusset.

http://www.supersteerparts.com/products/supersteer-ss175k6-idler-arm-support-and-brace-kit-assembly-6-lug.html

If you have not purchased look at the rest on their kits, I used them for my build.

Add time to up grade your sway bars.

Okay I'm finally getting around to ordering parts.  Options:

Mevotech 5yr - $126.26
Mevotech Lifetime - $297.82
Moog Lifetime - $421.88

The install doesn't seem like it's going to be that bad.  Since my truck has 286k miles, and I drive it about 5k miles a year, I'm thinking of going with the cheap option, and testing their warranty.  I could see going Moog if this were a daily work truck or one I was going to keep forever.

I mostly use it to tow our little travel trailer, or for family outings. 

Anytime it comes to trucks I almost always go Moog if it?s available. I know it?s a big price difference but if you were paying a shop you would probably be looking at $600+ just in labor alone plus a markup on parts. The avalanche is a heavy vehicle that puts a lot of strain on those parts. It?s not worth your families safety over a few hundred dollars. As far as tools you?re gonna also need C clamp ball joint press. I?ve never used the HF version so I can?t comment on that one, but I use my OTC for 99% of the ball joints I do and it works great. I would do the Pittman and idler arm fist, then inner and outer tie rod ends, (let outers hang) then do upper and lower ball joints one side at a time.

Would like to bring this thread back up....

I am looking at doing something similar to my truck with 270k miles on it.

Since I plan to do some serious upgrades in 4-5 years from now assuming I still have my truck I am curious if anyone has used DLZ (China) or PartW (US made) brand components?
These are available online via Amazon for under $400 for the whole shebang including hubs.

Otherwise if I go for Moog is there somewhere you can get a whole "kit" ?

Been told Detroit Axle brand is decent too?

Having heard that Moog now has outsourced most of their components and the higher prices are to cover returns, I am not as sold on Moog as I used to be.  Some places that say lifetime warranty only mean you get one replacement. PartW seems to have lifetime warranties but only if installed by an ASE certified mechanic and will only replace the component once.

I plan to replace, Upper A-Arm, Lower Ball Joint, Center Link, Inner and Outer Tie rods, Hubs, idler arm, pitman arm. DLZ and PartW both show kits that contain all of these.
Sway bar links were recently changed out but if there are bigger sway bars available I may want to install those instead.

Rodney

Back