Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front end parts replacement - best order/plan of attack  (Read 212 times)

ashamsuddin

So I took my Avalanche to a trusted alignment shop for a front-end inspection because I've got a good deal of creaking and popping under there (almost 290k miles).

He said I need:
Idler arm
Pitman arm
Both lower ball joints
One upper ball joint has a torn boot
Both inner tie rods

So I'm planning to just do it ALL, including both uppers, and new outer tie rods, just to not have to mess with anything later.  Planning to go with MOOG problem solvers all around. I saw a suggestion to do the bracket along with the idler arm.  Thoughts?

So my question is: how would you attack this project?  One side at a time? Try to just do it all over a couple days? (I work slow)

It's a 1500, RWD.

I have a pickle fork attachment for my air hammer, an idler arm puller, and an inner tie rod tool, all from Harbor Freight.  Will I need anything else for the ball joints?  I never hesitate to buy the right tools for the job because of what I'm saving on labor.  Besides, it's fun.

So if you were doing this job, what's the order you would go in to replace all these parts?
2005 Avalanche LS 1500 RWD

robertmee

• I love the Chevy Avalanche

I plan to do the same too so subscribing.  I just did the same on a restoration of a 90 dakota and the pickle fork didn't touch the tie rod ends on the lower ball joints.  It took a tie rod remover clamp and a pneumatic impact wrench.  Also my ball joints were pressed into the control arms...the c clamp kit from harbor freight didn't have enough oomph either.  I ended up taking the entire control arm out and using a 12 ton press to remove the ball joints.  Don't know if the chevy are press or screw type so that may be moot.  Plus the 90 was a bit neglected and rusted so everything was more difficult.  Lastly instead of buying the tools like tie rod wrench and ball joint clamps you can borrow them for free from your local advance auto or autozone.  Good luck on your project and please post any hints or tricks you discover.
2003 Cladded Z71

JVZL1

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY

The order preference, looks like you have the time. I just
worked from the torsion bars forward. Look at the
mounting brackets on the torsion bars. Then tie rods,
then tackled each side. Look at this it made such an
improvement on mine with the gusset.

http://www.supersteerparts.com/products/supersteer-ss175k6-idler-arm-support-and-brace-kit-assembly-6-lug.html

If you have not purchased look at the rest on their kits, I used them for my build.

Add time to up grade your sway bars.

« Last Edit: 02/13/18 06:57 PM by JVZL1 »
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray
 03 Z71 Dark Gray Cladded

JV

robertmee

• I love the Chevy Avalanche

^ $370 for a set of tie rods?!   :o
2003 Cladded Z71

ashamsuddin

Okay I'm finally getting around to ordering parts.  Options:

Mevotech 5yr - $126.26
Mevotech Lifetime - $297.82
Moog Lifetime - $421.88

The install doesn't seem like it's going to be that bad.  Since my truck has 286k miles, and I drive it about 5k miles a year, I'm thinking of going with the cheap option, and testing their warranty.  I could see going Moog if this were a daily work truck or one I was going to keep forever.

I mostly use it to tow our little travel trailer, or for family outings. 
2005 Avalanche LS 1500 RWD

ckeene

• Keene USA Goods

Moog ......
05 2500 8.1 with a few goodies
www.KeeneUSAGoods.com  where you can buy American made products!!!

Chevymike2003

Anytime it comes to trucks I almost always go Moog if itís available. I know itís a big price difference but if you were paying a shop you would probably be looking at $600+ just in labor alone plus a markup on parts. The avalanche is a heavy vehicle that puts a lot of strain on those parts. Itís not worth your families safety over a few hundred dollars. As far as tools youíre gonna also need C clamp ball joint press. Iíve never used the HF version so I canít comment on that one, but I use my OTC for 99% of the ball joints I do and it works great. I would do the Pittman and idler arm fist, then inner and outer tie rod ends, (let outers hang) then do upper and lower ball joints one side at a time.
2003 Avalanche
285/75R16 Hercules Trail Digger Tires
16 Metal Moto Rims
Leveling Torsion Keys with Shock Extenders
Rancho Shocks
Air Lift Air Bags
Spectra CAI
MSD Ignition Wires
Dual 10" Underseat subwoofers
In Dash Touchscreen Head Unit
5% Tint all the way around
Flowmaster Muffler
HID Low Beam
High Fog Lights
CB Radio
PA System
Amber DRLS coming soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 25 queries.