• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Just received a detailed Carfax, My 2006 was born in Mexico but sold in Canada,

nwguy

SM 2018
AND
Spent the next 222,000+ kilometers in Ontario before immigrating the the USA.

IS there any difference to be aware of between USA versions and Canadian ones?
The speedometer is in MPH and KPH and all the gauges are in US not metric...so????
I didn't realize it until I saw the car fax.

Other than the inclination to say "aboot" for "about" and putting vinegar on french fries...  (y)

All avalanches were built in Mexico then sold and shipped to dealers. no diff.  R.

I think slight differences are:
Headlights on ALL the time no over-ride

And some other weird things relating to Canada laws...

Some older threads around where peeps did what you did and the reverse and difference are explained.

Some of the bigger differences are the later model Av's (2009-2011) that were sold in Canada and somehow got a 6.2L V8 power plant instead of the conventional 5.3 and optional 6.0.

I have seen a few of them, but they are few and far in between.

Mine was sold in the states and I have day time running lights, that went into law in 2000 here in the US.  R. :D

ronthehandymanga said:
Mine was sold in the states and I have day time running lights, that went into law in 2000 here in the US.  R. :D

In Canada HEADLIGHTS are always on.
DRLs do not count.

ygmn said:
DRLs do not count.

DRL's do count in Canada.  My Avy only has DRL's during day as do a LOT of other vehicles.  As far as the speedometer goes it could have been changed out when it went to the U.S.  Mine only has KM's on it.

The more digging I do...
The manual says the CANADA version should have different gauges for oil, water temp, and fuel  but the vehicle has the US gages
My warranty book and On Star are both in English and French and the warranty manual shows it was sold in Ottawa, Ontario.

The speedometer swings both ways, MPH and KPH with MPH being the dominant format.
It has running lights that cannot be turned off.

It looks like it was originally going to be a US vehicle but then went to Canada...I guess.

There are several large dealers on the border that have locations on both sides and to your point could have shifted inventory post order. 
Either way you have a great vehicle.

YEP, think I am going to be very happy with it.

It is presently in a local body shop where the guys(who I have known for a while) are installing a brush/deer guard and also a front receiver hitch. And while they have it they are also going to put in the passenger side battery tray for a double battery system.

I could do the tray but they are going to already have it in a nice warm garage.

Then I will install a pair of KC DayLighters on it and be ready to weave my way through the deer herds with less worry about collisions.

Have to admit, I was really looking for one with fewer doodads and geegaws. I like basic, that way I don't worry when the 140 pound Rotty starts bouncing in the seat that his claws will rip the leather because all my seats are fabric... until now. But after several weeks of shopping this was simply the nicest and best bang for the bucks by far. So I will have to learn to live with heated leather seats, the sunroof, the 6 CD changer and all that ... stuff. The sacrifices I have to make.

Search the forum for "middeck" mod.

It will give the dog a great place to ride without tearing up your interior.

You can do the full one piece middeck or do like I did and split it for a two piece so you can have one side a middeck and still use the other side as a seat for people to sit in.

Mine stays installed in my EXT all the time.

Most of the time, I have it configured with the rear passenger side seat (the smaller side) available, unless I am transporting only the dog.

Then she gets the entire rear seat area to herself.

Here is my two-piece middeck before I installed my vehicle-matching carpet:

YEAH, I thought about doing something like that.
When I bought my LJ Wrangler I removed the back seat and built in a deck with a basement then covered it with indoor outdoor carpet I had laying around. The basement gives me a place to get all the tools and jacks and recovery gear out of the way and still have a place for the puppy to lay down. It is also easier to get him into it from the rear than trying to fit him through one of the doors.

You definitely gave me ideas, thanks. (y)

ygmn said:
DRLs do not count.

Wrongo. In Canada the headlights are always in AUTO mode. When it's bright outside the DRL's come on, but when it's dark the headlights come on. This includes bringing the truck into a shop, where the shop lights aren't bright enough to turn the headlights off.

Just4Kixx said:
Wrongo. In Canada the headlights are always in AUTO mode. When it's bright outside the DRL's come on, but when it's dark the headlights come on. This includes bringing the truck into a shop, where the shop lights aren't bright enough to turn the headlights off.
Yeah and you cannot over-ride correct?

I new it was soemthign with headlights different.

Right, you cannot override. The headlight switch has an "Off" position, but if you turn the switch to off it springs right back to "auto". I've often wondered why they even bothered. I've often thought GMs electrical systems were screwed up anyway. If you bring the truck into the shop and leave it in neutral to line it up on the hoist you can't turn the key off. In most cars you can turn it off but you can't remove the key while it's in N. Not GM - you cannot turn the accessories off. What's more, if you have it in the air and spin a wheel with your hand the headlights will come on and stay on, either until you put the truck back down and turn them off, or the battery goes dead. This makes them a real pain in the hoop to work on, especially as my hoist in my home garage is symmetrical, meaning that I can't line it up and put it in park, or I won't be able to get out of the truck.

FOr the switch to spring back to auto Is normal. My 08 does that to. Ifthe auto head lights are on I turn therm off if im sitting in a pARKING LOT AT IDLE AND IT SPRINGS BACK TO THAT.

Back