• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

General lift kit comparison?

groo

I figure now that my 05 1500 4x4 is getting too rusty to sell for much after I am ready for a new DD, so I might as well turn it into a wheeling rig.

Any general overview of suspension kits out there?
Anything to flat out avoid?
Is the driveline up to 35" tires?
Is the gov loc worth keeping?

My past off road in has been with jeeps, but the family is too big for that now (good thing I have the front bench seat). Wheeling a full sized will be a bit new to me.

Would I be better of trading my rusty Avy for a rusty Tahoe?

I certainly don't know the extent of your rust or your family budget but if it was me I would consider spending money on fixing the rusty bits before "throwing good money after bad" so to speak by buying all the 4x4 stuff you mention and then having a rusty part break and leave the family stranded out in the boonies while off-roading.
Remember there are many products out there to spray or roll on to remove or seal rust then treat with undercoating to prevent further rust.
Maybe it's just a sign of my age but I worry about safety and dependability before cosmetics. Good luck with your decision.

Frame looks good. It's sheetmetal going.  I'll replace the rockers with square tube. I may or may not fix the rest of the cancer.

My 02 has been lifted since 2004 and still running strong.
if you do rocks & Mud you will break things!!

Back