• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Just bought Av #2

Just4Kixx

Hey guys, haven't posted much but I do visit often. I just thought I'd post an update on my Avalanche situation.

The old blue 2004 Av that I've had since 2012 is going away. It has been a reliable and willing workhorse for those six years (the longest, by far, that I've ever kept a truck), but sadly the work it needs exceeds the time I have to do it.  I had actually been planning on lifting the body off the frame this coming summer and doing the mechanical work (I have a hoist, so this wouldn't be a problem). That plan went into the crapper when I discovered that along with all of the small things it needs, which have been adding up over time, now the body is getting bad too, which I discovered when a fender flare blew off while driving. Both rear wheel openings, both rear doglegs, and most of the body mounts are just plain rotten. I can do mechanical all day, but I am not a bodyman. Time to let it go.

Of course the only reasonable thing to replace a 2004 Avalanche with... is another 2004 Avalanche! I've bought the "new" one from my father, and it is mint with only 90k miles. It's not a Z71, but it does have G80 and is fully loaded. I've got to swap some stuff over from the old truck, including the big front brakes and 33" tires, but first a lift kit is in order. Pics will be added later on, once it warms up enough for me to go outside

Nice that you kept it in the family!
Now that you know the "weakspots" of a 14 year old vehicle maybe you should consider doing preventative maintenance on the undercarriage of the new AV? Like looking into spray on rust remover and undercoating to seal the underside and prevent the cancer of rust affecting the family heirloom AV......
May you have many happy and safe miles in your Av.

Had some pics, phone pooped the bed, lost the pics. I'll try again eventually. As for  undercoating, the old blue one was undercoated. No undercoating can stave Nova Scotia rust off forever though, and everything that rotted, rotted from the inside out. The frame was actually in excellent shape. I plan on finding a way to get some spray into the inside of the rear quarters of the "new" red one once the weather gets better.

Back