• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

02 Av 2500 lowering

more.power

Has anyone lowered a 2500 Avalanche?  I have been looking for lowering spindles/shackles and had no luck.

I believe these share the same front end parts with the Silverado 2500HD's. 

Any insight?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
02 2500 AV 8.1

I have always wanted to lower a 2500!!!!
Should be simple enough could even "bag" it. Un crank the torsion bars and have a custom set of rear springs or go 4 link with bags.
Dang now you got me thinking what to with my wife's 2500 since she got a Subaru " which she still has to use cause it's so dang useful "
Gm had a perfect vehicle but never pushed it!
Anyways ,,,what size wheels and tires are you thinking of?

That's the first time I even heard of lowering a 2500.

So 2 questions

1 do you tow anything
2 Is it 2 WD

If the answer is no, sell it and get a 1500

I hope I don't offend too many people here, but I am using the Avalanche drivetrain and chassis, but not the body.  Rockers are rusty, but doors are mint - msg me if you need any parts.  I have a 55 Chevy truck that I will be putting on this frame.

I originally bought it for the engine, but realized it has the exact same wheelbase so I thought it would be cool to make it 4WD and still be able to tow my trailers.  I do plan on towing.  This one has the 4.10's so I think it's rated for 12,000 on the hitch.  I might be putting in a fifth wheel as well.

I did look at the Ridetech HD 4 link and will probably go with that eventually.  Should improve the ride also.

I also have an 04 2500HD DMax and it looks like the front end parts are almost identical. 

As far as wheels, I plan on installing duals in the rear and matching the fronts with the dually spacers. 

Not offended.  Would love to see this as your project progresses.

Suspension will be the same as the 2500 trucks so if you find a kit for them you will be good to go.  The frame is obviously different and not as strong, but suspension/brakes will be the same.

McGaughys makes one, I'm not sure how well its works

Great project. Give us a build threaded with a lot of pics.

Have you looked at coilovers?

more.power said:

I also have an 04 2500HD DMax and it looks like the front end parts are almost identical. 

A lot of the 2500, 2500HD, Suburban and H2 Hummer front end parts are the same.. Love to pictures along the build..

more.power said:
I hope I don't offend too many people here, but I am using the Avalanche drivetrain and chassis, but not the body.  Rockers are rusty, but doors are mint - msg me if you need any parts.  I have a 55 Chevy truck that I will be putting on this frame.

That sounds awesome. Are you documenting the build anywhere? I'd to see it.

Here are a couple of pics.(hopefully)

Truck as it sits today.
img_2720.jpg

Avalanche as it sits today.
avalanche_coming_apart.jpg

That is going to be quite the project.

I put 3" lowering shackles on my 2500 for about 3 months and then took them off. I bought them from Belltech p/n 6403

Back