• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

time for brake job on my 2002-should I upgrade brakes?

tg

It is time for my brakes to be relined. Not sure if both front and back are disc on my 2002 Z71, but I have read that with the 2002, an owner should consider upgrading some of the brake components. I have noticed on sudden stops some skid/fishtail of the rear, not sure if that would be reduced with an upgrade.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on high end rotors, etc (eg Brembos), but do you think I should ask the dealer to change some of the brake components to those found in newer Avalanches?

If so, how would you prioritize which components should be upgraded? Any idea what this should cost? I don't live in a rust area, so don't think I need stainless steel tubing.

I'm taking it in to the dealer this Tuesday so would appreciate any input. I am keeping my Avalanche "forever", so want safe braking for sure.

Thanks in advance!

You might be interested in the thread that discusses upgrading the first generation brakes to the larger second generation (2007 and up) brakes. Only thing to be concerned about the mod is you need 17" or larger rims. That mod is cheaper than fancy aftermarket brakes but improved braking power.
This is the thread:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=122524.0

Back