• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

07 instrument cluster & cruise issues

BigOrange07

Hey everyone,

For the past several months, I?ve had two issues.

1. Odometer is completely dark; gear indicator is slightly visible but faint. Everything else lights up fine.

2. Cruise mostly not working - won?t turn on and on the rare occasions it does, will turn itself off or not resume after braking.

Mechanic said #1 is known issue and smacked the dash to get it working again. This did keep it lit for a good while and I was able to do same a few times after when it went dark again, but I was also concerned what else I might be smacking loose doing this (for example, could the smacking have caused cruise problems?)

I was told by mechanic that instrument cluster has to be done by Chevy shop due to programming and if I were to get this fixed to wait and see if it resolves cruise problems.

So, I guess my question is - is this worth getting fixed? I am not mechanically inclined nor do I have the time to tear the car apart.  Truck is in good shape otherwise but is nearly 12 years old so not looking to spend a lot of money unless absolutely necessary. 

Appreciate feedback.

Your cluster is more than likely because of a bad solder joint, or loose plug at the back of the cluster, I doubt this has anything to do with the cruise, two separate issues, you can have your cluster repaired by ANY qualified shop, you can look on ebay for quite a few that offer this service and they will do the programming also,  double check that you have all your brake bulbs in place and working, check under rear of truck, I'm not sure if 07's had them or not but there is a junction block that is prone to corrosion, around the spare tire or the fender wall.  Hope this helps and welcome to the club, enjoy the wealth of information you will find here!

Didit

The cluster problems sounds like this issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhU5nTYYvAM

You can remove the cluster (youtube has some videos on how to do it, not too hard) and it's my understanding that you can still drive the vehicle with the cluster removed if you did go the route of sending it to get repaired.

The cruise control issue sounds like a failing brake switch. If that's the case, it's an inexpensive part to replace and you can most likely do it yourself. As Didit asked, any idea if all your brake lights are working?

I just remembered there is also a wire in the steering column that is prone to breaking, but also is a easy fix.

Thanks Didit and ca2kjet! Will check the brake lights when I get her back from the shop (still there, not getting fixed...haha)

By way of update - got her back from the shop - he had replaced brake switch (apparently decided to give it try) and cruise is back, so one problem seems to be resolved - good call, guys. He did say brake lights were working though so not sure about that one...

He also "lightly tapped" (his words, not mine - HA) the dash and rejoice - all lit up like a Christmas tree once again. We'll see how long it stays on this time, but since this highly scientific technique continues to resolve it, at least temporarily, does seem like something is loose/wonky as you guys suggest. 

Will keep ya posted, and thanks for help right off the bat - helluva welcome! Me and Big Orange are glad to be part of the family :) 

BigOrange07 said:
By way of update - got her back from the shop - he had replaced brake switch (apparently decided to give it try) and cruise is back, so one problem seems to be resolved - good call, guys. He did say brake lights were working though so not sure about that one...

The brake switch has two circuits inside of it.

It seems that more often than not, the circuit that is for the cruise control is the one that fails first.

Maybe the brake light circuit is more heavy duty than the cruise control circuit.

So, the brake lights keep working, but the cruise control begins to fail.

Had it happen and seen it happen too many times like that.

Back