• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New Ava owner, saying hi!

SwaintaN

New to the Ava world. Picked us up a black 2002 z71. However, we got screwed  :E: the more I dig into it.. We knew it needed some cosmetic repair and front end suspension work.. but lordy does it neeeed more!

Im searching and reading over the forums now to see if I can find all the answers I seek:
-Why interior floor is always wet
-Why cluster going crazy
-suggestions on items that should be fixed/repaired
-mod suggestions

Im sure there is more Ill run into as Im  tearing things off, always do with any car... Its nice knowing there are forums are on here to help people out! Have a great one!

Welcome to the website and hope you can get you problems fixed soon!

me to. Hoping to work on it more as soon as Ohio warms up! Already started the start conversion, but the cold and snow slows that down.

I bought an 03 Z71 with the same wet floor issues.  I'm in the process now of changing out my entire interior.  All new leather, carpet, headliner, etc. You can search my posts and see my build thread.  But back to the water.  If you have a sunroof it's almost assuredly plugged drains.  That's what caused my water.  There are six drain hoses in the sunroof channel.  Two in the front go down the A pillar, four in the rear tee together on each side and go down the B pillars behind the trim.  It's easiest if you remove the a pillar trim, sunvisors and overhead console and the passenger assist handle.  You can then drop the headliner enough to get to the drains.  Pull the hoses and blow them out with compressed air or rod them out with some stiff weedeater string.

No sun roof, i didnt get that luck. We ended up with a flat tire on front passenger side, front passenger floor board had more water in it then anywhere else in the cab. So it was a shocker, im in process of switching electrical seats to standard cloth and ripping rear up to do the sub box mod, so im hoping i find the leak.

im still gonna check your thread as well!

Other places to check for water leaks is the rubber cover over wires going from A pillar to door sometimes there is a split or it comes off and water comes inside. Other spots is seals around rear window and midgate, depending on grade where you park water can come in from back and flow forward. Then gasket around windshield may cause problems sometimes.

I think part of it might been, the removable glass and halfway gate. I noticed today, they werent locked in place. so I locked those. I will check all these seals as well, i know it was very "jerry rigged" once we got to really look at it... But the night we looked at it, it was -2*, windy, dark as dark could be, didnt see the black tape over the rust spots, or that he had glued the headlights and cladding into place.

I had water coming into my AV as well - passenger side carpet was totally soaked under the floormat  :E:
Turns out that the windshield had been replaced at some point (before I got the truck), and had delaminated itself from the window frame, allowing water to get in.
Took it to my local Speedy Glass facility, and the guy that did the job said that the windshield almost fell off the truck when he went to remove it.
It's what happens when people get work done at $h!tshack establishments. They cut corners and don't do the job properly. Because the correct primer was not used to repair paint scratches on the window frame when the windshield had been replaced (To save $10??), rust formed between the windshield and the frame, destroying the integrity of the seal.
As a result, he had to clean all the rust off the frame - then prime it - and then finally the windshield could be remounted.
So check the branding of your windshield, and compare it to the door glass.
If the name doesn't match, you know the windshield has been replaced, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is leaking.
Simple enough to check.
Get a garden hose and go to town on it, and have someone inside the truck check for water coming in.
In my particular case, it was immediately obvious.
Oh, the joys of used car ownership!!!

CarMech1969

Back