• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

hopefully someone can help me

tyler2k

so i just put a rebuilt transfer case in my 04 and couldn't get the encoder motor to shift, so I got a brand new and and it still isn't shifting it just flashes then the neutral light lights up.  I have it off the transfer case now just dangling and hitting the different drive modes it doesn't move

I swapped the encoder on my '03 but luckily it was in 2wd before I changed it.  There is some kind of trick that has to be done if you were stuck in another mode before the swap.    I don't remember specifically, but I'll bet you it is listed in this *long* thread somewhere. 

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=14789

is a new transfer case and I tried a new encoder motor and it wasn't working so i bought a whole new actuator motor and same thing.

hmmm...  I never tried to activate mine when it was not attached.  Also don't forget to try putting the case in "neutral"...  theres no one button for this mode,  i think you have to be in Neutral, then hold down 2wd and 4lo for 10 seconds. 

I know the thread I gave you is huge, but there is a lot of good info in there...  especially read the arizona dave posts starting here:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=14789.775

I was trying to hear if the actuator motor was moving so I let the ne one dangle off. when I hit a mode of just flashes and goes to thr red neutral light

so checked the 2 fuses both were fine, tried to resolder the switch but still no lights on the switch and the service 4x4 on the dash

is there a way to check if the tccm is bad, once i replace the switch thats gonna be the only thing that isn't new i think

tyler,

Be sure and try to read the code.  Not many people know this, but some tccm codes can be read with a relatively inexpensive OBD2 scanner (although you can't use the cheapest ones, as they dont support manufacturer codes).  Mine is a simple one from sears (less than 100 bucks).     

Anyhow, when my Service 4WD showed up, I read GM code "P1875 4wd low switch circuit".    I then removed the actuator, and changed the 40 dollar encoder part inside of it with another delco one, and I was lucky-- it did the trick.      You may have a different code-- it may be of value to try and read it. 

good luck

I have an expensive reader I just gotta grab it from the shop, iv had issues with the 4x4 since I got the trick 2 years ago. the last tine i pulled the code it said encoder motor but iv since replaced the whole thing

so the code i got is c0327, iv replaced the switch, the entire shift motor, the transfer case, check the fuses and ground under three door im at a loss

I'll bet you've already done this.  But be sure to reset all the controllers.  Unhook battery for around 15 minutes should do it. Also reset that code and see if it comes back

yup tried all that, I'm at a total loss with this thing, I'm about to just drill a hole in the floor and put a manual selector in

Looks like the only thing you have not replaced is the TCCM itself.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=47353.msg1046070#msg1046070

Whatever you do make sure you put the transfer case in neutral before disconnecting anything. Personally, I would try to put it in neutral and try the power reset, that code is going to stay there for 100 ignition cycles so you may want to clear it.

Back