• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking to buy an Avalanche

rodg1984

I'm new here and looking for you're guys' thoughts.  I've been looking at a couple of Avalanche's and can't quite make up my mind.  One is an '08 LTZ 4wd 128,000mi, one owner for $16,999.  The other is a '10 LT Z71 125,000mi, three owner for $18,835.

I've read about issues with the AFM and that after 09 they were supposedly better.  Thought's/opinions/facts?

Is there a big difference going from 4spd tranny in 08 to the 6spd tranny in the 10, as in mpg or performance?  Would not be much trailer pulling, maybe an occasional small trailer.  Other than hauling things to the landfill or stuff from places like Home Depot, it would be mainly daily driver hauling the kids around and road trips.

What are some things I should take into consideration when looking at these?  Autocheck reports on each don't show any concerning issues.

I look forward to hearing any input and hopefully becoming an owner/member of this community.

Here is the 08
http://www.hayschevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2008-Chevrolet-Avalanche-LTZ-Hays-KS/3160342133#close

Here is the 10
https://www.lubberscars.com/used/Chevrolet/2010-Chevrolet-Avalanche+1500-99f7b1740a0e0a173e183ec43bc32810.htm

Thank you for your time

Comparing two or more used vehicles can be a very complicated procedure because of all the unknowns.
CarFax and other type of vehicle reports may not be complete due to the fact that they only have a history of reported repairs and if the owner or small shop who preformed the repairs may not have reported the work.
One thing to consider is what you have mentioned is that one AV is a one owner, that could mean it was driven and maintained since the owner seemed devoted to the vehicle. Anytime you have lots of owners it can be for various reasons but it could also indicate a lemon that gets dumped on a new buyer and it gets passed around trying to unload a problem.
The differences between your two examples is only 2 years and 3 thousand miles, overall not a significant difference to worry about them. What I would try to find out is what conditions the vehicles were exposed to and their maintenance history. Things like owned in a snow belt and driven in lots of snow and road salts or in a flood zone and maybe water damage etc.Look underneath AV for rust and check carpeting for dampness and mold.Then check dash lights and info center for warning lights and electrical problems.
The 2008 you are looking at is an LTZ which is nice due to it's trim level and smooth ride but some owners complain about the replacement cost of the auto leveling air shock system if it ever needs replacing. The Z71 has an upgraded Bilstein shock which I think has a better ride over standard LT models but doesn't cost as much as LTZ shocks to replace.
The usual question most new members ask when first shopping for an AV is this a fair price?
The best thing to do is use a sight like www.kbb.com or www.edmunds.com to input as much info as possible about the AV and your zip code etc. so you can get a fair market value in your area since prices can vary in different parts of the country.
Good luck with your search.

Does either of them have a warranty

Hello and welcome.

I'm a fan of the 6-speed transmissions on the 09+ model years.  I have no personal experience with the 4-speed on earlier models, but when I did my research a few years ago most everything pointed to the 6-speed being a far stronger and durable transmission. 

Driving wise, I like the manual shift mode of the 6-speed particularly on mountain roads.  I'll shift it into M4 or M5 on curvy/hilly sections so that it's not going in/out of 6th gear so much.  These rigs are tuned to maximize fuel efficiency, so it will try to stay in the high gears as much as possible unless you are on the accelerator. 

You may want to check gearing also.  The two options on the 2nd gens are 3.08 and 3.42.  Towing is limited to around 5,500 lbs on the 3.08, whereas you can go up to 8,000 lbs on 3.42 trucks with the HD tow package.  3.42 gears would also be preferable if you planned to increase tire size at some point in the future.

I disabled the AFM with a $200 Range plug-in module.  I wasn't overly concerned about lifter failure, I just hated the feel of the switching between V8 and 4-cyl modes.  There was not a noticeable impact on my fuel mileage after I began using the Range. 

One more thing I'd check is the payload number.  Avalanches typically fall in the 1,200-1,400 lb range, which is far less than most modern half ton pickups.  Sounds like you don't plan to haul/tow very heavy, but it's something to be aware of. 

FYI - Don't know where you are but I am the original owner of a RED 4x4 1500 with ONLY just turned 90,000 miles I am thinking of selling.
I have a tow package with 3.42 gears  with chrome tube running board which afford me 19mpg on the freeway. Only used to tow my seldom used utility trailer. Daily driver.

Having just bought a '13 lt z71 myself and coming from an '03 z71 I can tell you I like the brushed aluminum look of the interior (vs wood grain) and side rails of my lt z71...  plus I was used to the Z71,  I would tend to lead you to lt Z71.  But its all preference.  The LTZ probably is better for highway touring and may have a smoother suspension if that's your pref... not that I offroad, I just like the look and it does fine for me (even for mostly highway use)...  its too close to call... drive em both and pick your favorite.  Also keep in mind there are SO many add-on options and flavors that may exist either way that its hard to make a blanket statement here...

I want to thank you all for your input and look forward to any more thoughts here. From my bit of creeping around since I've joined up, you all seem like a knowledgeable nice group here!  I've got some thinking to do as they each have their different qualities that I like.  Who knows in the meantime while I'm in my thinking stage another one may come along.

9mcatdaddy-I'm in Kansas but sounds like you've got a nice one.

Thank you all again.  I'll have to make a "new member post" after I make a decision.

Good luck with your search.  Once you get one - like us you will become a fan of how good they really are.

I would definetly go for the "10 LT.  2 years newer, 6- speed, no afm. It looks well taken care of and has all the options of an ltz except the troublesome leveling system. Also looks like you can get it for a better price. Good luck!

I would go for the one owner LTZ that a real Chevy dealer is selling.  My experience looking at lot of used Avs is that single owner trades in better condition will stay on the new car dealers lot.  I see more of the multi owner rigs with issues going straight to auction and then ending up on a used car lot.  It all comes down to test driving both and having them inspected.  Not that a Chevy dealer won't get an Av traded in and immediately put a high price on it regardless of condition for a quick sell.  But after a couple of weeks they will let it go to auction if too many issues pop up.  Whereas a used car dealer has paid auction price for theirs and will fix it just enough to sell.

I was down to two LTZ rigs that had been sold new off the same lot in 2011.  One had 2 owners but 40k less mileage.  You would have thought that one would be in better condition.  It was not.  Heated seat was out, panels were messed up, and AC did not work.  Went with the one owner high mileage rig that looked well taken care of.  Was able to get the dealer (Ford dealer) to fix a couple minor issues.  Of course the original battery tested good and then failed dramatically after I had it a month.

LTZ Suspension issues?  165K and everything still works perfectly.

All else being equal, I'd go with the '10 LT Z71. It's newer, has 6spd trans and a rear locker.  I also like the sportier styling, intererior and trim that comes with the z71.

Back