• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone use a Battery Re-Conditioner

MS03 2500

PM 2017
PM 2015
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
Decided to try one because I don't drive the AV much sometimes it sits for over a month without being started.

The conditioner is supposed to send electrical pulses to the battery to keep the plates clean.

I tried it on a old battery and so far so good got it up to holding 10 volts where before it was 3 volts, next is the motorcycle battery that I have been replacing every year.

BTW putting it a maintainer is not a option no 120 volt outlet within 300 feet.

The bad part is it takes up to 5 days for a full charge

I keep my jet ski batteries on a tender throughout the winter. They fire right up in the summer, where before they'd go dead and I only got 2 seasons out of a battery. The current one is twice as old now.

I have a Ctek 3300 and a Battery Tender Plus. I like the Ctek better so it goes on the Vette. The Battery Tender is at the farm and switches between the tractor, 4 wheeler, and riding mower.

I can't speak from experience on a battery conditioner but for vehicles not operated very often I have had great results over the years with smart chargers on my bass boats, motorcycles and hotrod. If you plan to keep your AV for many more years you may want to consider running an electrical line with a post and weatherproof outlet box to where you park. You could also consider an outdoor car capsule to keep water, UV rays and critters away from your AV and it could be powered at the same outlet. it would also give you power for your tools to work on the AV if you are old school and have corded power tools too.
http://carcapsule.com/

There are also solar powered tenders, most for under $50. That'd solve the no electricity issue.

According to Amazon reviews, they have thousands of positive reviews across the different brands.

Guess I should rephrase the question and change the title.

I had an old style Battery Charger that only will recharge the battery and maintain it. I notice the battery would not hold a 12 volt charge and I have replaced it.

I bought a new style Charger that also has a Re-Condition mode. How it works is you have to put it in Re-Condition mode for 24 hours then it goes into maintenance mode. You have to do this 5 times and if it still does not maintain 12 volts then its toast.

Now my old battery would recharge up to 12 volts but when you took it off the charger it would drop one-tenth volt every minute or 2 until it would stop at 3.7 volts. Now it just drops to 10.7 only so it seems to be doing its job.

The charger does test the battery before it tries to recharge it and it passes the test. The battery is not in the AV and I'm not trying to maintain it but just wanted to know if anyone has tried this method before and will it actually rejuvenate battery.and how long will it last?

BTW I rent space in an airport hanger so when I fly in I can just grab it and go, I have 2 batteries so i was just switching to the second battery to start it. The new battery is working fine with the sitting for a month.

MS03 2500 said:
Guess I should rephrase the question and change the title.

I had an old style Battery Charger that only will recharge the battery and maintain it. I notice the battery would not hold a 12 volt charge and I have replaced it.

I bought a new style Charger that also has a Re-Condition mode. How it works is you have to put it in Re-Condition mode for 24 hours then it goes into maintenance mode. You have to do this 5 times and if it still does not maintain 12 volts then its toast.

Now my old battery would recharge up to 12 volts but when you took it off the charger it would drop one-tenth volt every minute or 2 until it would stop at 3.7 volts. Now it just drops to 10.7 only so it seems to be doing its job.

The charger does test the battery before it tries to recharge it and it passes the test. The battery is not in the AV and I'm not trying to maintain it but just wanted to know if anyone has tried this method before and will it actually rejuvenate battery.and how long will it last?

BTW I rent space in an airport hanger so when I fly in I can just grab it and go, I have 2 batteries so i was just switching to the second battery to start it. The new battery is working fine with the sitting for a month.

The Ctek 3300 is a reconditioner/charger/maintainer. It checks battery condition automatically when you hook it up and goes into recondition mode if it needs to. Since it charges at a fairly low amperage rate it takes a couple of days when attempting to bring a weak battery back.

I had an Optima Red Top that was weak and ran it through several cycles. It got better but would not come completely back.

Yeah it's up to 11 volts and has been on the charger about 20 hours in total.plus its a group 65 battery. I will see how it works on the motorcycle battery which is much smaller this weekend. I don't want to leave it unattended for fear it may blow up.

Back