• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Extension Rod - Spare Tire Removal

jdbarnes

2004 Av Z71 -- I apologize in advance, because there probably some easy answer to this.  Recently, I replaced my evap canister/vent solenoid because of P0446/P0449 codes.  I raised my spare tire up and when I tugged on the extension rods to remove them from the guide shaft, only one of them came out.  The other got dislodged from the holding button and stayed in the guide shaft.  Would anybody tell me of an easy way to get the extension rod out of the shaft.  The one I pulled out doesn't want to go back in and reconnect because the button is now popped up and keeping it from going back on.  There's not much to grab onto, because the side with the open hole is the other side.  Maybe try a magnetic pickup?  Thanks for any suggestions.

The only thing I can think of is it to remove the C clip(6) and remove the outer guide shaft

Opps :welcome: to the club

Attachments

• jack.GIF
    jack.GIF
    13.4 KB · Views: 14
Thanks so much for the suggestion and diagram.  I tried getting the clip off, but it wasn't very cooperative.  Part of the issue is the area around the tag was deformed -- made the whole shaft guide a little wonky.  Ended up cutting the guide shafts so I could get my pliers on the end of the rod and removed it.  Then, I got a section of clear plastic tubing and overlapped it on the inner/smaller guide and clamped it on the outer guide shaft end.  If the extension rod ever gets stuck again, I can just remove the clamp and push the plastic tubing to the inner guide, allowing easy access.  While the shaft was disconnected, I was also able to bend the area around my tag back into shape so that it will be a straighter shot.

Count your blessings that you were able to lower that spare. I'd lower it again and spray that assembly with some kind of lubricant and make sure you do it at least once a year.

I have heard all the stories about the secondary latch. This thing must have been repaired or replaced before I got the truck from family. Tire goes up and comes down easily. No corrosion that I can see on it either.

Back