• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Moving new pioneer AVH-4200NEX from '03 LTZ to '13 LT Z71

marzahld

SM 2022
PM 2018
SM 2015
So, I had just purchased a brand new head unit for my '03 before I upgraded to a '13 Avalanche (wasn't planning on upgrading so soon, but that's how it goes sometimes).  Anyhow, before letting go of the old truck I put the factory radio back in it and took my new aftermarket HU out.  I now want to put this HU in my '13 since its better than the one in it as well.  I like the Android Auto interface.   

Have some questions for those that have upgraded the LT (non nav) HU in the newer Avalanches:

I now have the following parts:

1) Pioneer AVH-4200NEX (this is the heart of the system to be re-used)
2) PAC RP5-GM11 Radio Replacement Interface With Built-In OnStar Retention/Steering Wheel Control Retention/Navigation
Outputs for Select GM Class II Vehicles (hmmm...  probably need to upgrade this to a different one, but not sure what to get?)
3) SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio (I would guess this will be re-used as aftermarket radios aren't compatible with the GM XM tuner which used to be behind the glove box?)
4) Premium 7? Inches Rearview Car LCD Monitor By Pyle (I was using this for the rear seat LCD-- I can reuse this to play kids videos in the back again as it hooks directly to the pioneer)
5) Esky EC170-08 Waterproof Night Vision HD CMOS 170?Viewing Field Car Rear View Backup Camera (don't need this as I already have factory backup cam and projection in the the rear view mirror)

Interested in what others have done here (especially when it comes to the PAC interface in #2). 

Also, a bit miffed by something else I see in the new truck.  I would have assumed that a '13 LT Z71 with the non-nav HU should NOT have Bose speakers or the amplifier-- but the speakers in my A-pillar say Bose on them?  I'm confused about this...  If I pull out the center console cup holder bezel/tray, I can see a bunch of electronics down there (similar to my old '03 z71 which had a bose amplifier)...  but, the door speakers don't all say bose on them...  can a non-nav HU have bose?

marzahld said:
...I would have assumed that a '13 LT Z71 with the non-nav HU should NOT have Bose speakers or the amplifier-- but the speakers in my A-pillar say Bose on them?  I'm confused about this...  If I pull out the center console cup holder bezel/tray, I can see a bunch of electronics down there (similar to my old '03 z71 which had a bose amplifier)...  but, the door speakers don't all say bose on them...  can a non-nav HU have bose?

My '07 LT Z71 has a non-nav HU with the Bose system.  Same as you, A-pillar speakers say Bose, door speakers don't, amp under the console.

bpdutton,

Thanks!  So I guess that WAS an amplifier I saw under the cup holder indeed.  I'll have to check it again for part # to be sure...

I still have not moved the radio, but have a few questions in the differences between '03 and '13.

Unlike the old avalanches, apparently you can now still use the GM XM tuner and XM radio through the Driver Information Center (DIC) even after the factory stereo has been removed.  I think onstar as well.   

I don't really care about saving the old xm tuner or onstar, but I would like to preserve the GM voice assistant.  Does anyone know where this gm voice assistant lives? ( in the factory radio or the XM tuner/ onstar unit)?      I can voice dial with an aftermarket stereo, but that requires the use of Siri and/or google's voice assistant.  The gm assistant might not be as good, but at least I've already paid for it and it doesn't require that I enable sharing of my web-surfing activity and gps whereabouts with google before I can make a hands free call.

Also, I was thinking of splicing my video feed for the reverse camera so that my video shows both in the mirror and on the pioneer unit.  I have heard that this blue/white wire pair can be found behind the drivers side left kick plate on Silverado...  Is this the same on Avalanche?  I'd rather not have to run an extra long wire all the way from the mirror itself.

I am putting a new radio in my 2006 Duramax.  It uses the PAC GM11.  When searching I discovered my 2008 Avalanche uses the PAC GM31.  I expect you will have to buy a new PAC interface to make it work.

Crutchfield will give you all that info - as will the PAC website. 

I finally put the avh-4200nex in the truck (using a pac gm31).    As it turns out, you can still use GM voice assistant, and the GM XM Tuner (with display through the DIC).    So, my phone essentially makes a bluetooth connection to both the GM box, and to the Pioneer radio.  If I call through the GM unit, the pioneer still knows through its own separate bluetooth connection and will still display who I am calling.  Calling through the GM unit will use the built in onstar MIC.    If I initiate the call through the pioneer unit, it uses an externally attached microphone (to the pioneer) instead. 

This thing fit in the dash very nicely with a scoshe dash kit.  The PAC unit can fit behind the ac and cig lighter panels.    I still have the following to do:

- run aux video wire from pioneer to my rear LCD panel for back seat entertainment
- install the separate standalone XM tuner (so I can use additionally use XM through the Pioneer instead of GM DIC--  it has more features this way such as album art and better controls).  If you want to keep both methods active you probably will have to pay for 2 subscriptions since they have different radio ID's. 
- intercept backup camera wire hopefully at left drivers side kick plate and splice it to go to both the mirror and the pioneer
- When you disconnect the GM USB connector you find out that you need a mini B usb female connector to USB A male if you are going to re-use the wire that goes from the gm stereo to the usb jack.  It looks to be also possible to use a standard usb cable (fish another one through) and connect it underneath the cup holder as an alternative.  I ordered the mini B usb -> usb A instead.

The PAC31 works good for the steering wheel controls.  I have not messed with the rear entertainment controls yet, but assume it should be working as this worked in the PAC11 (for my '03).   
I have a couple of gripes about the PAC31 though:

- the turn signal sound is lame.  Sounds like a bad atari 2600 port of asteroids or something...  lol
- the parking backup proximity warning sound does not incrementally get faster anymore as you get closer to an object.  The GM stereo would reflect  1) close 2) closer 3) your about to run over it    But with the PAC, only #1 will emit sound.  The rest don't emit any sound. 

I'm going to see if its possible to check my PAC31 firmware version somehow and see if I'm at the latest. 

I'll post a picture once I finally get everything done. 

And the best part:  The sound quality with those original OEM Bose speakers is nearly 10 times better with the Pioneer than with that CHEAP gm tuner (no kidding).  It has plenty of bass for me too...  I was really happy with how much better the radio sounds.

I just installed a Joying PX5 radio in my Duramax and also used the PAC interface.  I was able to make the chime sound post-1987 by placing tape over the speaker and then poking a pin hole in it.  Amazingly it sounds nice now.

Attachments

• CC6A63A7-526B-4618-A1E8-EE52FF0E52D1.JPG
    CC6A63A7-526B-4618-A1E8-EE52FF0E52D1.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 31
Back