Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: some cosmetic damage to tailgate top edge Completed fix  (Read 1027 times)

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
Re: some cosmetic damage to tailgate top edge
« Reply #25 on: 04/14/18 10:17 AM »

I looked on an Avy/EXT parts list I have and this is the part and number for the EXT piece.

Looks like that plastic strip may have been part of the rear gate molding, as they call it, all along and not a separate piece as I see no mention of it separately.

Rear gate molding for 2002-2006 EXT Part #88944304

Maybe finding an EXT tailgate in a scrapyard for cheap (yeah, right) might score the spoiler with the plastic piece.

I am also not clear if the plastic piece would even come off cleanly or if the first gen spoiler would even fit on a second gen truck.

I'm thinking it would probably make more sense for others to just build one like you did since it looks pretty damn good on your truck.

If I ever get a second gen Avalanche with painted cladding, I know I will.
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
Re: some cosmetic damage to tailgate top edge
« Reply #26 on: 04/14/18 02:41 PM »

Well my $44 mod/protection is complete. As far as I see there are no issues with the added piece between the rear bed cover and tailgate. This just saved me a lot of money as I don't have to replace what was previously damage and it will protect that edge of the tailgate spoiler from future damage.

2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5417ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Blizzaks, AVS Vent Visors, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights & Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras headlight and fog.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

HellHoof

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
Re: some cosmetic damage to tailgate top edge Completed fix
« Reply #27 on: 04/20/18 12:39 PM »

Looks good  :thumbsup:
2009 LTZ

No Tyme

« Reply #28 on: 04/20/18 06:09 PM »

Looks good  :thumbsup:

Thanks, it did turn out better than expected. It saved me some buck too since it covers up the damage on the edge of my tailgate spoiler.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance level lift, Hollander 5417ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Blizzaks, AVS Vent Visors, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights & Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras headlight and fog.

BADalanche

• Freshly Squeezed
« Reply #29 on: 05/30/18 04:58 PM »

That's some great work there! Mine looks like the moon compared to yours  :laugh: Got to look into this...
2013 Black Diamond Silver Ice Metallic 4WD LTZ
Mods: OEM Aluminum Sill Plates, 6" Chrome Tubular Assist Steps, Polished Exhaust Tip, Smoke Hood Deflector, H2 Console Latch, Custom Bedslide, Console Vault, Airaid MIT, EZ-down, Z-71 skid plates, 10" Kicker sub with Bose Amp, MGP Caliper Covers, Diablew Tuned

No Tyme

« Reply #30 on: 05/30/18 05:27 PM »

That's some great work there! Mine looks like the moon compared to yours  :laugh: Got to look into this...
Actually I am very happy that I went this route. First is even if I would have spend the money for a new painted spoiler it would still be subject to damage in the future.
Secondly you really can't tell but there is still some very minor scratches but it actually looks good. The texture is very close to the OEM covers over the bed. Couldn't be happier.

Exibar

• I love my '03 Avvy!
« Reply #31 on: 06/05/18 12:17 AM »

As stated above I have some cosmetic damage to tailgate top edge, most likely from the previous owner hauling something that hung out from the bed. I was ready to replace the plastic "spoiler" as I think its call but realized there would still be an edge prone to damage and at $275 for just the painted part I thought there had to be a better way.
Hours of searching did not turn up anything for the AV as a tailgate protector so I started to think outside the box. I finally broke loose with my credit card and ordered an edge guard custom cut from "TheCornerGuardStore", a 60" x 2" x 2", .085" Thick, Textured Vinyl. The cost is way less than replacing the plastic part on the tailgate and will cover the gouged up edges but best of all it should provide protection in days to come.
Has anyone else come up with an alternative? $40 and change is much cheaper that $275 and my labor installing a new piece that will still be prone to damage.

do you have a link to the 60" piece?  I'd love to do this to my Avvy, but Ionly see 48" and 96"   the 96" piece has a shipping cost of $240!!!!  LOL

Mike B

No Tyme

« Reply #32 on: 06/05/18 06:30 AM »

do you have a link to the 60" piece?  I'd love to do this to my Avvy, but Ionly see 48" and 96"   the 96" piece has a shipping cost of $240!!!!  LOL

Mike B

I had to purchase the 96" piece but they cut it down for me. I talked with Kyle on the phone so send him an email to start.
Contact kyle@quippinillc.com, tell him you want black CG-PVC-8200 cut to 60Ē, and you can use my order as reference. Quote #TCGS_8012, was

60" x 2" x 2", .085" Thick, Textured Vinyl Corner Guard, Black-11921 was $ 18.22 Shipping to 48140 was an additional (Ground) $ 30.00 for a total of $ 48.22 
Let us know how it works for you.

Exibar

• I love my '03 Avvy!
« Reply #33 on: 06/05/18 10:37 AM »

very , nice!  thank you very much!  I'll do that.

No Tyme

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 25 queries.