• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

good lawd I've bent my frame

supermanotorious

I can't be 100% sure but I'm about 95% sure that my toy hauler has bent my frame. I've noticed the hitch has gotten progressively lower over the last year and I thought maybe I needed to adjust the bolts for the bumper, hitch, etc. Upon closer inspection, sure looks like the frame is bending at the hitch bracket- not good.

Attachments

• IMG_5213.JPG
    IMG_5213.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5214.JPG
    IMG_5214.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5217.JPG
    IMG_5217.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 78
You're not the first person that has happened to when using  a stock hitch.

Looks like you have a couple of choices, back when the 2500s were newer they would have to replace the frame.

GM sells what they call a frame rail extension. I have not seen this done but I guess they cut the old part out and weld in the new piece in.

rail_extension.GIF

Or you could take it to a frame shop and see if they can fix it, but they are not supposed to bend a hydroformed  frame,

Maybe find a wrecked AV or Suburban 2500 and cut out the replacement section out.

Whichever you do get rid of that POS stock hitch and get one that spans that hole in the frame.

normal_hitch.jpg

Looking your pictures and looking at my frame. Yours may be slightly tweaked but I do not think it looks bad enough to worry about. I would just put the Reese 45013 Class V on it that MS2500 shows (I have the same one on mine), like he said it has mounts further a head and spreads the load more.

Attachments

• 20180409_190113.jpg
    20180409_190113.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180409_190120.jpg
    20180409_190120.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 55
Take a picture of the bumper so we can see how far is it hanging down, when you remove the stock hitch you will be surprised what it is rated as.

Looks like the Reese 45013 is discontinued, any thoughts on the DT45515 https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/DT45515.html ?

Same idea.  You just want a hitch that mounts further up the frame to spread the load over the weak point right where the stock hitch ends.

Either the hitch you linked or this one.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Suburban/2006/41930.html?vehicleid=20065532

The difference is the 2 vs 2.5" receiver.  If you get the 2.5 you will either need new hitches or adapters.  The 2.5" (Class V) is also rated for more, but that is also more than what your truck is rated for.  Then again, overkill is never a bad thing.

thanks, I ordered the 2.5" model, cause to tell the truth my toy hauler tongue weight is roughly 1,200 lbs, YES I know that's too much and I've been fortunate to not have broken anything yet. I use weight distribution bars and after reading the stories of the crap factory hitch I'm glad I haven't committed us to any summer road trips yet

fingers crossed the frame is not bent such that I can not install the new hitch

Having new to me 2500 I?ve been following this post. So with the 2.5? over the 2?
do you gain more reinforcement on the frame? Or is it just heaver material?

well as you look at either, they both extend further than factory which helps distribute weight, torque, pressure along more of the frame, I almost regretted going 2.5" seeing the lower cost for the 2" but the 2" turns out not to be heavy duty enough for my toy hauler, again 1,200lbs tongue and roughly 9,000lbs trailer weight

The  2.5 inch is rated higher but way over the factory tow rating on the 2500. The 41930 2 inch Class V is more than adequate for most, if you need a higher tongue weight rating you might have to keep looking..

My stock hitch was a Class V and never gave me a problem but I upgraded it anyway..

Here's one for the Draw Tite shows the Reese 45013 Titan in the ad.

https://www.reesehitches.com/products/Draw_Tite_Class_V__2_1_2_inch_Trailer_Hitch_Receiver,45515

JVZL1 said:
  Having new to me 2500 I?ve been following this post. So with the 2.5? over the 2?
do you gain more reinforcement on the frame? Or is it just heaver material?

Looks like the Class V (2.5") hitch might extend forward a little farther, there are 4 bolts on each side (2 in the back and 2 in the front) vs 3 bolts on each side for the 2" hitch (2 in the back and 1 in the front).  Either would be a good choice to replace a stock hitch even if you don't tow anything near the towing capacity.  The factory hitches have been known to be an issue when rust is involved.  That combined with the frame bending issue means mine will be replaced this summer.

Sorry for  :jacked:           

Thanks for the replies.
I will seldom be pushing the limits on the 2500 like I did with the 1500. 
I?m always into over kill when it?s about the safety of family and others on the road.
Thanks again.

supermanotorious said:
thanks, I ordered the 2.5" model, cause to tell the truth my toy hauler tongue weight is roughly 1,200 lbs, YES I know that's too much and I've been fortunate to not have broken anything yet. I use weight distribution bars and after reading the stories of the crap factory hitch I'm glad I haven't committed us to any summer road trips yet

fingers crossed the frame is not bent such that I can not install the new hitch

I have a similar tongue weight and after 5 years (got rid of stock hitch before towing anything) and I have had no problems.

Just thought I would mention that technically it?s not a week spot. The hitch is part of the crash protection of our trucks. There is a factory dent in the frame at the front of the hitch. So when rear ended it would bend down. That said change that thing, gm did us no favors...         

they did the same thing to the hood on the 80?s square body?s. How many of them folded in half just shutting the thing.

Alaska_AV. said:
Just thought I would mention that technically it’s not a week spot. The hitch is part of the crash protection of our trucks. There is a factory dent in the frame at the front of the hitch. So when rear ended it would bend down....

AKA CRUMPLE ZONE.

Weak points designed into vehicle so they protect passengers better in crashes

I guess I forgot to mention what the hole in the frame was for.  :laugh:

Let me share how strong the 2 1/2  hitch is, I was sitting at a traffic light in traffic the light turned green and everyone started to move, one of the cars in front of me was making a right turn so we had to stop everyone stopped except for the Silverado behind me. I  think Silverados weighs around 5,000 pounds he left with a 3-inch square hole in his front bumper  >:D.

Crumple zones are designed to absorb energy from a crash so passengers do not have to.

I know that, but it was around 6,000 bucks to fix the frame.
Don't get me wrong I love my GM cars and trucks, but I don't think the little crush zone will do any good at speed over 5 mph.

And why would they put a class 3 hitch on a vehicle that they claim can tow 12,000, if I remember right they were several lawsuits because the hitch broke.

When you add the stress of a weight distribution system that makes the problem worst.

I really think GM knew people were going to change them but had to pass that bumper test, I think it was 5 MPH at the time they built them.

I'm attempting to install the same hitch MS03 2500 shows in the picture, but it doesn't fit the AV with the tab on top, extruding to the rear, that tab interferes with the bumper. I am an experienced fabricator and can easily cut it off but I want to know what MS03 2500 did to make his work. Would I be better off returning it and going with this hitch?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Avalanche/2003/C15324.html?vehicleid=200314110

It does require a little trimming. >:D

normal_0427181808.jpg

normal_0427181805a.jpg

You just cut the tab off, clean up where it was welded on and touch up the paint, I sanded and repainted mine. It was actually designed to fit Suburban's frame which is shared by the Avalanche and Hummer.

Years back when we all wanted to upgrade our hitches no manufacture actually made and tested one on a 2500 Avalanche even though it bolted on exactly as the Suburban with the exception of the tab/wiring jack mount.

Thank you Randy, I was pretty stressed about this yesterday as return shipping was over $50, more than 25% of the cost, and I had taken the factory hitch off, might have been without a hitch for a couple weeks which is no bueno between my boat, toy hauler, and the variety of utility trailers my dad and I are always loaning to each other loaded with tools the other one needs to borrow, so I might have to tow something at a moment's notice, I'll cut the tab and paint the metal, I'm also going to weld the bracket for the trailer wire harness to the Draw-tite, I'll get pics up when I do

Back