• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

going to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone, any recs?

fyxtion

We (my friend and I) are going to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone (Old Faithful), the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole. Does anyone have any recommendations about these places or anything nearby? We are camping and on a budget.
Thanks
Brion

Let's see there is Deadwood and Spearfish (both 'wild west' gaming towns), a little east of the Blackhills is the Badlands (cool views ~ very hot and dry) Just west of that is the Legendary Wall Drug!

If you are into planes, Ellsworth ABF is just east of Rapid City, SD.

There are some great camping places in the Black Hills! I have personally stayed a couple times at Horse Thief Campground ~ it's up in the Blackhills and near Custer State Park (where the buffalo do still roam)

...almost forgot about Needles Highway

Do yourself a favor and spend the $45 for a can of Bear Pepper Spray.

This is the best rec I can think of and it's available in almost every park store. But I am a little sensitive on the subject. :)

Realy though, Yellowstone Is a wonderful place, that goes without saying. Old Faithful Village is very nice. Dont miss the thermal features just down the road from OF about 1/2 Mile. I forget the name but you can't miss it. I think it's where "Morning Glory" pool is.

Check out the sunset views from the North lodge, OF is awsome that time of day from that point.

Keep you eyes open for bison. They are quiet and you can turn a corner around a building and be smack next to one if your not aware.
Keep your distance from these creatures. They are awsome.

Where are you camping while in the park? I can tell you more of what we did while we were there if you would like.

Sorry to sound finatical about the Bear spray, It's just I found it to be the BEST thing I bought in the park. :) But thats a story for another day.

I've heard that getting a camping place near the park (let alone in the park) was pretty hard. Everyone wants to go so Yellow Stone gets booked up early. Do some online reservations searches as soon as possible.

I totally agree about the buffalo/bison. Give them the same amount of respect you would burama bull (only meaner). People get hurt thinking that they are like cows. Very cool and impressive but keep your distance. They were pretty easy to spot in custer State Park when we went.

Back