• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Whining Noise Issues

frecalimatt5

Ok I am new to the group but have come across a few posts while trying to research my issue. This page seems to have some of the best articles but I am still having trouble figuring out my issue.

So I have a whining noise that gets loud when slowing down and seems to get louder as the day goes on. It also makes a whining noise when I turn to the right, not the left just the right. I took it to someone a year ago and first guess was wheel hub, well after putting a new one on both sides it did nothing to the noise so obviously not wheel hub. After researching more I think it could be my front differential now. And a mechanic buddy thinks the side bearings could be at fault.

So I wanted to see if I could get some thoughts from anyone? It is a 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71! And I love it, want to keep her going but cant figure this noise out. ? thanks in advance!

Whenever I see a post about a whining noise I think of pinion bearing.

Maybe check your transfer case fluid level also.

I actually just replaced half the transfer case because of a small hole. Brand new fluid and it has worked great. Noise has been going for a year and half now at least. ?

I have an 02 avalanche and am having a similar issue. It makes a roaring/grinding noise as long as the vehicle is moving. There is also a howling noise that is faint, but gets quite loud when accelerating OR turning right. All wheel bearings/hubs have been replaced and didn?t change anything. What should I check next?

Put my avalanche up on blocks and put it in drive. The noises appear to be coming from the rear end. It has a scratching noise on the rear passenger wheel and the howling noise sounds like its from the rear end as well. I cant pinpoint it to a certain spot though. I?m going to take the plate off of the rear end tomorrow and inspect as well as change the fluid. Is changing the carrier bearing and axle bearings a difficult job?

Derekeh83 said:
... Is changing the carrier bearing and axle bearings a difficult job?

NO bug you have to know how to set the gears & bearings properly or you will tear it up.
Tis more then swapping parts- measuing is involved with special tools

I would love to do this myself. I have calipers and a magnetic dial indicator. Ive just never used them on a rear end. Just on industrial wood planers ha. Where can i find more information on doing this? I?m pretty sure mine is the g80 rear end with 3.73 gears. Also the bearing kits at the parts stores have 4 bearings. Is this all the bearings in the rear end?

At the very least, you could search YouTube for GM rear end rebuild to get some idea of what you are getting yourself into.

Like mentioned above, if not done properly, you are going to end up much worse off than where you started.

Some things are best left to those that are qualified for the task.

Best of luck with your repairs.

(y)

My mechanic doesn't even do these anymore.  He refers customers to a guy who specializes in doing rear ends.

So a mechanic looked it over and said that the pinion was loose and the ring and pinion were worn. Price for a complete rebuild was $2,400. My friend has several avalanches, Tahoe?s, etc around 2002 models and said I could have a rear end out of one of those. What do I need to look for to make sure the rear end is exactly what i need? The code for mine is gt4 with a 3.73 ratio. Thanks.

Are they still in the rigs? If so you can look in the glove box and match the rear end codes.
Some may know where the stamp is on the rear end. Being a 4x4 you have to match front
and rear gear ratio. It would be more work you could pull front and rear out of one to match.
If it was the gear ratio you wanted. (Just make sure the front and rear ratio match.)

Check and look for slop, pull the cover and inspect. Would your mechanic inspect it. 
You should have the G80 posi in your Z71 need to check if you want to keep the posi.
This would be a good time for a TrueTrack.

Yes they are still in the vehicles. I just didn?t know if i needed to look for more than the gt4 code or not. And what is true track? Is it a nice upgrade over what i have now?

True Trac is definitely an upgrade.  Made by Eaton, same as who makes the G80 locking diff.  I talked to Eaton reps at a Hot Rod Power Tour stop about several years ago as my truck was at about 200K miles at the time.  They were surprised that the G80 had lasted that long!  The True Trac is pretty much their top of the line.  As more torque is applied the diff tightens up.  It's performed well for me on snow and ice in the winter in my 2-wheel drive Z66 as well as on the dragstrip behind my supercharged 6.0 crate motor (which beat a 2011 Shelby GT500 on a local dragstrip a week ago).  :drive:

I've had it in my truck now for about 100K miles, around 6 years now.  Very pleased with it.  When it was replaced the mechanic who did it said when he took my G80 out he'd never seen one so cracked as mine that hadn't yet totally failed.

Sounds pretty awesome. For now, ill just stick with swapping another rear end in and may do the true trac in the future.

When I bought our second Avy, a 2012...a few months of driving and I was getting a howling out of the front end.  Definitely mechancical...but not.

I really swore there was a hub issue.

As it happens, it turned out to be the tires.  Simply rotating them and the noise went away...for a few months until the ones newly on front took the same set.  I might add we had an alignment done, at our cost, at around 10K miles.

That was with the Goodyear HDs that were stock.  We've since worn installed Cooper ATS tires and have not had a return of the issue...about 15,000 miles on them.

So...the short version is...maybe try a rotation and see if you get a different effect.  I've been working on vehicles/boats/planes my whole life and my ear told me I had an actual issue.  I wasn't buying the tire thing.  Until I had to!  :p :p

Back