• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

P0307 and sucking oil

RCBearings

2004 Avalanche 1500 with 240k on her.  Was towing my 26ft travel trailer from Colorado to Austin, TX a couple weeks ago.  Just outside Killeen, I got a check engine light.  Took it to Oreilly and had them read the code.  P0307, Cylinder 7 misfire.  So, I did the cheap thing and hoped.  Replaced the coil, wire and plug.  The plug I took out looked like a lump of coal.  That didn't fix the rough idle or clear the CEL.  Engine temps and oil pressure were still good, so I finished my tow to the RV park and check oil level warning came on.  It was 5 qts low!  Had put in 1qt at Oreilly.  Took it to dealer in Rockdale.  They said 0 compression in Cyl 7 and 90 in Cyl 2.

I know I need a new engine and dealer quoted $7300 installed.  I have been reading up on these engines and came across the 4 corner steam kit.  Seems under hard loads, #7 can overheat causing the ring gap to go to 0 and breaking lands on the piston.  I was flogging her pretty hard so maybe that's the case.

Anything else I should look for?

Did anyone check head gasket?
could be that simple.

Oh well, got a Silverado engine for $450 with 170k on it and had the engine swapped.  All in all cost about $1200.  Avalance back in business.  Silverado engine soesn't seem to have the power.  Same year 5.3l. Guy who swapped it out said he would text me when he tore it down.

Back