• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

08 steering shake

batmo

ok lets start, and before any one ask i have done all this.
new tires and rims. front end alignment, sway bars mounts. new rotors and pads.
taken to front end shop says hummmm we dont know...
here is what is going on. at different times i get a bad vibration int the steering, at low speeds below 45 all ok once you reach 50 and above it might shack and it might not. slow done some and it stops. yes the tires or balanced. good tires good rims. this is a lzt model with the air ride crap on it. rear shocks were replaced along with air pump. air tire sensor show good. and it does not mater if you reduce or increase air pressure in the tires. truck has 150k and has never had front shocks/struts replaced.  i either think that one of the shocks is bad and set up a vibration that i describe as up and down at times. or that the rack and pinion bushing or trying to fail. i am going to wire in a camera under the frame and see what i can see from it when driving. i took the front tries of and put another set with rims as a test and same things so i know it is not tires and rims. ball joints show no slack, no slop or movement by hand when up on the jack.  this has got me fooled as wheel as the repair shop.... give me ideas and sujestions please. i fell like it is the rack and pinon mounting bushings that hold it to frame. that is the only movement under neath i can find, but it makes no popping noises, no leaks...things that make you go hummmmm  scractching my head in texas

If the shocks haven't been replaced and they have 150k on them... I'd say they're long overdo. Know when the front upper and/or lower control arms were last replaced?

batmo :wave:  :welcome: to the club.

Did you check your wheel bearings? 

What is your wheel and tire size?

Back