• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Replace bed cover latch

jdbarnes

Hi, everyone!

2004 Avalanche

One of the bed cover latches on the cover closest to the tailgate (think that's #3?) was broken when I bought my Av.  I finally got around to buying a latch to replace it, although it didn't come with any screws.  However, removing the broken latch proved to be much more challenging than I ever thought.  I broke both screw heads off and had to use a hacksaw and pry bar to get it off.  What's left of the bolts are still in cover.  Anybody have any advice on how to get these out?  Easy out or screw/bolt extractor?  I tried spraying some WD40 to see if it would release, but I'm not optimistic about it.  Anyone had to drill out the screw and retap the threads -- or find out what type of screws these are?  I welcome your advice and thank you for your time and help.

JD

Doubt they will come out unless you drill them out due to severe electolysis rust.

I have same issue....

SO if you drill out just use longer bolt with nut on top and some silicone to seal hole.

Thank you. I think I will go ahead with drilling it out. I don't see these ever coming loose, even after soaking them.

JD

Back