• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

SHOCKS! I have the ZW7 + G65 code...yet GM says it's not a Nivomat shock???

mxrider

I need to put new shocks all the way around on my 2004 Z66 Avalanche.  I have both the ZW7 and G65 codes in the glove box and on the build sheet which *should* mean it came with Nivomat shocks....but when I asked the Chevy dealer to order me some rear shocks, they are saying their official GM part system is ordering up regular gas charged shocks, NOT the $600 Nivomats.  However, when they look at the system and look for shocks that are appropriate for a ZW7 and G65 RPO codes, the system says it should be the Nivomat shocks.  I'm at a loss on what to order?!  I bought the truck with 45k miles on it so I cannot 100% sure know whether the Nivomats were on it from factory, but right now it has gas charged aftermarket Edelbrock shocks on it.  The truck seems to sit and ride fine, so the rear end does not appear to sag any.  Truck now has 165k miles on it and one of the rear shocks is completely blown out. 

I also asked a Chevy Technician at the dealer what shock he would order just based on the VIN# of the truck, and he also said that according to his system, it would order the normal gas charged shock for $119....not the Nivomat for $600.  So not sure why I have all the RPO codes that indicate it should have Nivomat shocks on the back, yet the official GM part system says to order regular shocks.

Anyone else have this happen??  THoughts??

yes Z66 had load leveling shocks which are very expensive... I think I have seen them for $400 each before.

They may be called NIVOMAT I do not remember but they have HUGE Outside Diameter versus normal shocks as they use the vertical motion to pump up and level for loads as you drive.

Thanks.  Yes, that's what I find very odd...I have a Z66 with the ZW7 & G65 RPO codes, but the GM Chevy dealer is telling me NOT to order the load leveling shocks based on the GM parts system and inputting my Avalanche VIN number into the system.  It's very odd.  My wife used to have the same year model suburban with the same codes and it definitely had the Nivomat (load leveling) shocks on it.  I don't mind paying the big $$ for the Nivomats, but I'm hesitant to order them given the GM dealer is telling me not to!  How often do you find that at a GM dealer??!

I can picture it happening since it could be based on computer error in the info, or counter worker lack of attention and reading the fine print etc. Then if they looked under your AV they could be trying to save you money and just buy the ok shocks not the best or expensive shocks. Then it could be they wanted to sell you what was easy to get or in stock too.

Thanks for the thought on that.  Only thing is, I stood at the counter with my service advisor and parts counter manager and their system def shows the cheaper shock...and they didn't have any of them in stock, so for grins we ordered one (no charge to me) to see if maybe there was a glitch in the system pricing and maybe it would be a Nivomat shock for $119 :)  But to no avail...when it came in it was just a plain jane gas charged shock. 

When I look up PN on GM part websites they do not show the Correct Z66 shock and revert to the standard base shock PN.

So I suggest going to Rock Auto where I saw they still have the AC Delco shocks along with KYB and MONROE versions.

AC were under $300 each

Many thanks!  I had a feeling something was up with the GM parts system....

They may have plugged in the wrong vin when they accessed the catalog. One digit off can make a world of difference. (Don't ask how I know:))

So just to close the loop on my post, I ended up going with factory GM Nivomats despite the fact the GM parts catalog said it didn't have them originally.  I have all the RPO codes that suggest it did come with them from the factory.  I can say that the truck rides better now, still handles very well, and overall ride is a little more comfortable than before.  I have not towed yet so can't comment on that.  The truck does sit a little higher in the back than it did with just plain jane gas shocks I removed...but both gas shocks were completely blown and leaking oil as well.

The other aspect of this that made it better on the pocket book was that I snagged both OEM Nivomats from an Amazon seller for $300/ea shipped.  But one of them came scratched up and minus the bolt kit....so the seller gave me a refund on one of them and told me to keep the shock!  So I've got 2 brand new Nivomats on the Avy for $300!!

Nice deal and one of those things I have to do.
But I thought I saw cheaper price at Rock Auto...???
Oh well something I Will check out later.

I've had not such a good experience at Rock Auto and I couldn't find OEM Nivomats for less than $279/ea (plus about $20 shipping) which is what I found them on Amazon for....but that seller on Amazon has now raised their price on these Nivomats!  The dealer quoted me $659/each!!  I checked ebay too, but only used ones were available at the time.  I'm hopeful that these will last at least 75k miles which should buy me another 5 years or so before I have to think about it again! 

Smitty2 said:
Here’s a thought - has anyone ever rebuilt one? Is it possible?
She does not look like it wants to come apart easily and then where would you get parts?

Mine blew a seal as it leaked oil out.

Back