• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Help with 4x4

WDKinley

Hi guys,

Today I had to get a tug from another vehicle in order for my avy to tow my boat out of the water.

Vehicle in question: 2002 Avy z71.

Symptom: Truck will only operate in 2wd no matter what. Cannot get front wheels to engage.

Here's what I've checked.

1) Pushbutton switch on dash: can select auto 4wd, 2wd, 4x4hi. Button will not select 4x4 Lo.

2) Fuses: 4x4 fuse (driver's side of dash) is good. ATC fuse (under hood panel) is also good.

3) Removed front diff actuator: Tested ok - visually protruded and retracted when pressing button.

4) no "service 4wd" alert on dash

Can someone point me what to check next? Maybe the transfer case encoder motor?

The truck is new to me.... I hear that some people have issues if they don't change their transfer case fluid at recommended intervals?

I'm not sure how long you have had your AV, but I'll put it out here.

You have to be moving slightly to get into and out of 4wd low.

Check your owner manual

After further diagnosis:

1) with truck on jack stands and the vehicle in drive in 2wd the rear wheels spin in opposite direction.

2) with truck on jack stands and the vehicle in drive in auto 4x4 and 4wd options:

-the rear wheels spin in opposite directions
-the front driveshaft spins
-the right front wheel spins
-the left front wheel moves just the tiniest amount

3) with the truck on jack stands with engine off and you spin the left front wheel by hand the opposite wheel (right front) spins in the opposite direction and an equal speed to the other

To reiterate: the front diff actuator seems to be working normal. When removed from the diff it retracts and pops out at will when using the push buttons

Back