• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Av 1500 2WD clunk when driving

RustyB

SM 2020
Sirs, got a 2002 Av 2wd with 290K on it. original motor and trans never rebuilt. runs great, but clunks while driving. in traffic especially, it will clunk when braking to stop, and then again when letting off the brakes to go forward. thinking it's the trans, but not sure. replaced trans mount cause it was the original one and also the bolts were loose.greased the driveshaft/trans connection, too. recently replaced the entire rear axle. any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Rusty in Jax, FL

we replaced the u joints about 2 years ago. we also greased the crap out of the driveshaft. i wonder if we pack some hard rubber in the driveshaft where it hits the trans spline it would stop it.

Check the yoke on the drive shaft and rear end. When you say replaced rear axle was it a total rebuild or used.
I would still lift rear and check for slop.
I?m not up on the 5.3 as the torque converter and flex plate accessibility. Would check the fasteners.

Back