Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Read this before you mess with your MAF  (Read 42331 times)

WILDFIRE

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member
  • I see...
Re: Read this before you mess with your MAF
« Reply #25 on: 05/31/07 02:40 AM »

What's the MAF?  :dunno:
Mass Air Flow sensor
« Last Edit: 05/31/07 09:24 AM by WILDFIRE »
sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out

kavesman1

• I love my Av, and my Volvo
« Reply #26 on: 05/31/07 05:14 AM »

well,my GTA Trans Am had the MAF system installed from the factory back in 1989.MAF is more forgiving on bolt on equipment(intake,headers,exhaust,etc.) due to the fact that it can compensate for increases in the airflow of a motor is taking in.but to a certain point,it will become a restriction to the air intake potential for the motor.

I took of the MAF of the TA and switched to the MAP system(manifold absolute pressure) like what came on the 1990-1992 Z-28 camaros and Firebirds.

The MAP system reads directly off of the intake manifold,but is more tricky to tune.the sensor will go crazy with alot of bolt on equipment that alters the pressure in the manifold.But the MAP system,went finally tuned right,will give you more HP than the MAF,Because there is no restriction in the intake flow.

Also,at least in the 1990-92 MAP systems,the BLM(Block Learn Mode)program,if you can get the BLM at the same level across the entire rpm range,you will have a perfectly tuned engine.

I had to take out the MAF,Due to the fact i was installing twin turbos on the TA.Every seen what happens to a MAF sensor when you have 30lbs of boost go through it.Not a pretty picture.
Billet Grill, Amber DRLs, All On High, BrakeMaster Modules, LOF Fire and Ice,CDX, Aux Input Adaptor/Bluetooth For Ipod, Mag Light Mod, Visor Mounted DVD/7"lcd combo,LED grab handle,Sail panel LEDs.Bose Lux Audio/Nav.

kavesman1

• I love my Av, and my Volvo
« Reply #27 on: 05/31/07 05:24 AM »

But the cool thing about the 1990-92 MAP system,it can be adapted to other vehicles.There's a company i got all my info from. www.customefis.com
He has a GM EFI system that can fit almost onto anything that was equiped with a carb,or another system.
Billet Grill, Amber DRLs, All On High, BrakeMaster Modules, LOF Fire and Ice,CDX, Aux Input Adaptor/Bluetooth For Ipod, Mag Light Mod, Visor Mounted DVD/7"lcd combo,LED grab handle,Sail panel LEDs.Bose Lux Audio/Nav.

crlbrn1

• Do You Want to Ride in the back seat of my AV?
« Reply #28 on: 12/20/07 01:58 AM »

Thank you for the information. . .
Do Or Die

one92rs

« Reply #29 on: 02/15/09 06:59 AM »

wow. i have seen this argument debated so many times that it could make a person crosseyed. i have taken them out and left them in. i have logged (2002 silvy 5.3) both ways. with the screen it was smooth transition on all the readings. with out the screen power came in waves as turbulent air moved accross the wires. and one other argument is that gm put one in a vette without a screen from the factory. hense they tuned a little for it also. so i say on a slightly modded vehicle wioth the screen removed-you might feel some here and there and think it is great. but there will be times it will not feel the same. of course it all depends on temp and atmosphere.  in the long run i believe that it is best to leave it in there. it has been argued to peoples content. i have seen a maf with the screen in it supply a twin turbo truck with enough readings to run to a certain point. i still see mafs with screens supply supercharged trucks with all they need to run great. and as said before. the maf will outflow the intake,throttle body,and cold air intake on your truck. then comes in custom tuning. it can be helped to flow even more. i had the screen in on my older truck-2002 silvy-5.3-heads-226/228/581/588/114 cam-long tubes-no cats-built tranny-electric fans-cold air intake-175 shot of nos. and even maxxed running perfect i still never outflowed the stock maf. so on a stocker with bolt ons. leave it alone. it will flow better with the screen that straightens the air that passes thru it to be able to read the temps correctly and smoothly and help more that one without a screen that allows turbulents and spotty perf gains

Loggie

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • What made it all happen--The Original Concept
    • Pics of AV
« Reply #30 on: 02/15/09 07:09 AM »

good post one92rs

Emu the Foo

« Reply #31 on: 03/25/09 10:25 PM »

wow. this really helped. thanks man
I dont really have a catch phrase

BrokenFeather78

• Captain Caveman
    • North East F-body Assn.
« Reply #32 on: 10/28/10 06:20 PM »

kavesman1 points out MAP tuning (also known as speed density tuning) a must for forced induction. If you're naturally aspirated the stock truck maf in its stock form is all you will ever need. F-body and vette guys have been pulling truck mafs from junkyards for years. A testament to their ability to handle power.
04 AV 2500, 98 Formy WS6, 78 Trans Am..........so much time, so little gas.

Double-O

« Reply #33 on: 07/19/11 06:40 AM »

Very informative.

Shagy

• Laser Engraver
    • Acrylic Conceptions
« Reply #34 on: 08/28/11 01:57 PM »

That's a good write up. Goes for other mfg's as well....
2006 LS - 2"/3" Drop - 4300 HID, Yellow Fogs, "Ambers"......

-Laser Engraver

STAGGEREDM3

« Reply #35 on: 05/27/12 08:29 PM »

Ladies and Gents!!!!!!!   This is why I Love Forums. Thanks for the great and informational read.  :B:

tlrche67

« Reply #36 on: 08/24/12 01:12 PM »

Does it make a difference where on the intake the mass air flow sensor is located?
 On my  07 avalanche it's located near the filter what if it was located closer to the throttle body?
 I do not want to remove the mass air flow sensor just move it... will it harm anything or is it possible?
 I'm no mechanic just have a suggestion for producing a custom intake, which would involve moving the mass air flow sensor

Av-n-Taz

• CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member
  • Taz, my AV co-pilot. Member 9440
« Reply #37 on: 08/25/12 07:02 AM »

Based on the fact that the sensors inside for the MAF and the IAT sensor are all temperature sensitive,
I don't think you'd want it too close to the engine, or directly behind the radiator (huge heat source).

Just my .02.

HTH,
EJ
02 SOM Z71, FTADRL's/Turn, All6onHi w/50W Fogs, 4 brake lights, VRStainless Straps, “poor man’s LOF”, Hypertech PPIII, Taylor TV50s, EZ Bedslide, DE-Amp Bypass, Leveling keys. FlowMaster 70 Series, "Vette" servo, trailer wiring outlet moved to bumper.

enoniam

• LS Fest 2017
« Reply #38 on: 02/21/13 01:14 PM »

I've descreened my MAF - even relocated the sensors in it, as well as relocated the MAF itself.

Descreening it didn't hurt it, but didn't do much for performance to a fairly stock engine.

I will say this though, restrictons do add up.  For each restriction you are loosing a little bit of air pressure.  Just because the screen isn't the biggest restriction in the intake tract doesn't mean it isn't costing a bit of airflow and hence potential power output.  Whether the potential amount to be gained is justified by the risk to damaging the MAF is another question .....
2003 with ATK 460 HP 6.0, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers and true dual 3" exhaust, Truetrac rear, 3200 Circle Stall, tranny upgraded with 4L65 and other heavy-duty parts, Weld Racing 18x10 forged wheels, HPTuners custom tune, Vortech supercharger, water/meth injection, Magnavolt fuel pump voltage booster, DeatschWerks booster fuel pump, 58#/hr injectors, 13.3 @ 101 in the quarter mile.

Jwh91

• I love MY Chevy Avalanche LT
« Reply #39 on: 04/03/18 07:57 PM »

So where can I buy a 52mm throttle body for the 05? Would I see more power and mpg by doing this and the maf screen?
2005 Pewter LT 4x4, loaded, no mods... yet!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 2.454 seconds with 25 queries.