Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant bypass WARNING!  (Read 30744 times)

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
  • BBA status: trading in...check my Garage Sale!
Re: Coolant bypass WARNING!
« Reply #25 on: 03/11/06 04:00 AM »

but, i know it has to be better....I am a private pilot and knowing what i know about "icing" (which was just enough to pass the test :P ) i would not have done this if i lived up north ... and FWIW, my new LS2 throttlebody does not even have ports for coolant to circulate through it.
'07 Midnight Warrior-BAK-TAR-PCIII-V&H Big Shots-Lots of black powder coat!
'03 z71-Onyx Black-Radix with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear end plus lots of extras!

INresponse

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • Remember when people used to be proud of America?
« Reply #26 on: 08/27/06 12:14 PM »

Has anyone thought of doing the reverse of what GM intended? Instead of putting a little heat there why not a little cold? I would think it would be easy to run a little cool air through that bypass hole, maybe something that could easily be shut off in the winter? A small line tapped into the air box with a shutoff valve comes to mind. You could hide it under the air feed going to the throttle body.

Butch

I like this idea. 

I think I will disconnect mine when I change out the thermostat.  But I think the cold air idea will need a better flow design (more volume).  Not sure by the way you worded this, are you talking of tapping into the A/C air box or the air cleaner air box?

I would think it would need plenty of airflow to have any of cooling effect.  If the air moved too slow it would have little effect.  I am thinking it would need some type of funnel design up by the grille and taper it down to add pressure and increase airspeed. 

Back in the day I had Holleys Projection on my 72 C-10.  It came designed to run engine coolant through it to keep it from freezing in the winter.  Since I didn't drive it in the winter, when I lived in Michigan, I had the thought of running ice water through it with ice and water in a cooler in the bed of the truck and a small pump to provide the flow.  I wasn't in to modding much back then so I never did it, but the thought was there if I ever planned on racing it.
Born On Date: 9-8-01
2002 Z71 Avalanche, 5.3  ATI Procharger with intercooler, custom cold air intake, HP Tuners, 4.10 gears (formerly 3.73), Fire and Ice light bar, Patriotic emblems, US Speedo stainless face plate, Patriotic 3rd brake light decal, Refinish Restorer, Additional GM trans cooler, Manic stainless brush guard, 160,000+ miles, and a big brother named RAMalicious.

BigBlackAv

• Charter Member
  • BBA status: trading in...check my Garage Sale!
« Reply #27 on: 08/28/06 05:53 AM »

IMO Carburetors take the venturi principle to an extreme and "icing" is very common, it can even happen in the summer months (well summer is not likely, but spring and fall, especially at high altitudes it is very common).  With our throttlebodys, it is not nearly as likely.
'07 Midnight Warrior-BAK-TAR-PCIII-V&H Big Shots-Lots of black powder coat!
'03 z71-Onyx Black-Radix with a 4L80E and 14 bolt rear end plus lots of extras!

KY_BOB

• I loved my S.L.U.T.: Sport Luxury Utility Truck
« Reply #28 on: 01/05/07 05:55 PM »

IMO Carburetors take the venturi principle to an extreme and "icing" is very common, it can even happen in the summer months (well summer is not likely, but spring and fall, especially at high altitudes it is very common).  With our throttlebodys, it is not nearly as likely.

Especially not when you have a supercharger heating the air before it get to the TB.
Gone but not forgotten...

02 Z-71  Vortech supercharged 3.12 pulley 10psi, 212/218 .558/.563 comp cam, LS6 valve springs, SMC meth injection, 42# injectors, Flex-a-lite Efans, 3"body lift, 33 12.50-17 procomp AT, 17x9 procomp wheels, AVIC-N2 NAV, 4.56 gears, 2500 stall converter, transgo HD2 shift kit, Vette servos, 80mm BBK throttle body, Edelbrock headers, custom exhaust, Cold Fusion nitrous, and too many more mods to list.

Tuned with HPTuners
8.86@77.87mph in the 1/8th

ohiobellboy

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
  • 2 Eagles
« Reply #29 on: 11/19/07 06:05 PM »

I did this mod with a twist!!

I left it all connected BUT I added a T-valve to the line. In the summer I shut the valave which stops the collent from flwing through the TB. When weather turns cold I just reach in and open it.

Volia best of both worlds.
I like this!
Avy #1 - '04 Z71 Cladded (dark blue metallic) Purchased 9/07 with too many mods to list. . SOLD 6/21/15
Avy #2 - '05 Z71 WBH (Bermuda Blue) Twiggy purchased 11/11 Current mileage 160,*** Now used as my winter beater SOLD 6/2-/17
Avy #3 - '05 Z71 Cladded (Bermuda Blue) Purchased 9/12  for Twiggy. A few mods.  TRADED 3/10/16
Other Summer toy - 2015 FLTRUSE (Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire)  also called a CVO Road Glide Ultra. Lots of fun on two wheels
2012 BMW 535i with XDrive

Xtacowner

« Reply #30 on: 10/06/08 02:08 PM »

lol...just read this for the first time and its kinda funny since VW VR6 people do the same thing (I had a 93 VR6 Corrado)

arizona-dave

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
  • You cannot lift the needy by pulling the top down
« Reply #31 on: 09/20/10 12:38 PM »

No Intercooler after the SuperCharge?

Especially not when you have a supercharger heating the air before it get to the TB.
STOLEN   -   07 Mystic Gold Loaded LTZ 4x4 - 6.0L with 4LE70 super duty tranny - from the Factory! Prem Sound & Nav, Rear DVD, and all the goodies. An upgrade from the 05, but I have to admit, the 05 seats were a tad more comfy and a little larger. Mods/Upgrades - MSD Super Wires, NGK Iridium, Billet Grill, Real HID Projector HL's w/Halo, 22" Liquid Metal Rims on Nittos, Z-71 skid plate kit.

c.dockerycharles.dockery

« Reply #32 on: 09/20/10 05:08 PM »

would this be a good mod. in texas on an 07 w/65k ?

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #33 on: 09/21/10 07:39 AM »

would this be a good mod. in texas on an 07 w/65k ?
not if you drive on the street...

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

c.dockerycharles.dockery

« Reply #34 on: 09/21/10 10:42 AM »

Thank you !!!! 

BrokenFeather78

• Captain Caveman
    • North East F-body Assn.
« Reply #35 on: 10/28/10 06:15 PM »

If you drive your truck in the winter on a stock tb, don't do this! If you up grade your tb (might as well do the intake while your at it), i recommend nick williams, they are performance pieces that do not have coolant provisions.

A note on performance, I did this on my 98 Formula(not winter driven). I gained 3rwhp on a heat laden motor(made no difference on cold start), not too shabby.
04 AV 2500, 98 Formy WS6, 78 Trans Am..........so much time, so little gas.

Double-O

« Reply #36 on: 07/19/11 06:41 AM »

Good info.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.