• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

front tires squealing at low speed turns.

Denpre

Does anyone have a problem with their front tires (275R55x20) OEM squealing while doing low speed sharp turns like driving thru a drive thru?

Have had 3 front end alignments and all say that my alignment is within specs.
Tires did not squeal when making these low speed turns for the first 50k miles and then I had a ball joint changed on the left front.
New Bridgestone tires on all four tires - 2 in the front last summer and just recently 2 rear tires.
Also when towing my trailer last weekend it was very difficult to steer because truck was wanting to go either left or right and especially difficult when meeting semi trailers (and I know this is because of the wind).

Someone suggested that I might need new front shocks. 
The 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond has 85,000 miles.  Mostly highway driving.

Question: your opinion, should I change the front shocks yes or no.

If yes, the existing front shocks have wire connections to the computer on the truck.
Front suspension code is 7F2.  OEM part number is 19353949

Are there after market shocks that would work vs OEM shocks

Thank you for your response, denpre

Could need an alignment. Otherwise check components in the steering system to see if they need to be replaced. Such as tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, stabilizer link, ect.

Is steering wheel turned all the way against the stop?  (then PS pump relief valve is squeeling)

What is road like? concrete? tarmac, asphalt? new old? SMOOTH painted?

tread on tires?

My truck squeals like crazy in parking garages with very smooth concrete drives and making sharp turns almost at lock. Kinda like the movies.

I wonder could it be the steering pump belt slipping ???

Could even be front wheel bearings. Jack each side under the lower control arm, wiggle tire top to bottom looking for play. How many miles are on it now?

You said it started after a balljoint change on the left side. Maybe there is something not quite right with the new balljoint and the Ackermann angle is slightly off. That would account for the squealing and the alignment being correct. Good luck

When making a turn or circle the inside tire has a smaller radius than the outside tire. Just google it and you will find more information than you will want. As to how to get it checked.... You can ask at your local alignment shop, but my guess is it isn?t something that is adjustable.
When I was young we had a car that squealed around tight corners, the ?old timers? ,as my dad called them, at the local garage told us we would have to just deal with it.

Back