• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Daytime Running Lights issue

ccc32224

I noticed both daytime running lights not working when my 2012 LTZ is set to auto. I turn the switch to on and headlights come on and back to auto and my mirrors close. So i do it a few more times and mirrors do not close. Later lights came on, but now back to no running lights and mirrors closed the first time i moved from auto to on and back to auto. Thoughts on this issue??

To make sure we are on the same page you are familiar with the fact that daytime running lights only come on when you are in gear...if in park or drive they don't come on unless someone has done an electrical mod to make them come on with headlights. Also when the light switch is on Auto the headlights come on with the degree of darkness detected by the sensor on top of the dash. That can make the headlights come on in daytime and DRL go out if the sensor is covered by something, is fooled by low sunlight in the winter or a malfunction in the sensor itself.
I don't think the mirrors closing is related to the lighting issue, you may have a faulty door switch to open and close the mirrors or when you go to turn on or off your lights or even climb in or out of your AV you may be inadvertently hitting the door switch with your arm or sleeve of shirt or jacket....
Good luck finding a solution.

i have noticed that the lights are on during the daylight hours. My understanding is that they are always on and see running lights on other chevy vehicles as well. The mirror issue is definitely caused when  turn the lights from auto to on and back to auto. Nothing related to the door switches or touching anything on the door 

"The DRLs will only be on if the truck is in gear, not in park. "

This is incorrect - I have 2011, friends with 2003, 2008 and 2014
All are on when truck running and in drive or park....

No mods to any of these vehicles.

My DRL's only come on when the truck's ignition is in the on position, the truck is out of park and the parking brake is not engaged.

The engine does not have to be running.

The light sensor must also detect enough daylight to not turn on the auto headlights.

They do not work in park.

So, I can block the wheels to keep the truck from rolling, turn the key to run without starting the engine, drop the transmission out of park and walk around to check the DRL's and work on them if needed.

And if the light sensor thinks it is too dark, I toss a flashlight up on the dash and point it at the sensor to make it think it is daytime.

I usually just look for reflections in cars ahead of me on the road or in glass store fronts as I pull up or back away.

If I find one is out, I deal with it at home as described above.

(y)

FlaAv said:
"The DRLs will only be on if the truck is in gear, not in park. "

This is incorrect - I have 2011, friends with 2003, 2008 and 2014
All are on when truck running and in drive or park....

No mods to any of these vehicles.

Sorry but you are mistaken. As mandated by the Feds all DRL's only come on when the vehicle is in a forward gear and no other lights are on. No way your buddies vehicles have them on unless they are modified otherwise or have damaged wiring.

DRL's are mandated to be lights of their own or can be reduced headlight (Low or high beam). By reduced, I mean the voltage is reduced. Most Headlight based DRL's run at around 9 volts.

Rodney

My DRL's come on in reverse, as well.

Any gear position except park.

The DRL's on my 07 come on as soon as I start it, doesn't have to be in any gear.  Has been like this since I bought it, as are any and all of the other Avy's, Tahoe's, Burbans etc that I have seen around here.  Maybe different laws in Canada or for vehicles made or destined for here, not sure.

Lifted07 said:
The DRL's on my 07 come on as soon as I start it, doesn't have to be in any gear.  Has been like this since I bought it, as are any and all of the other Avy's, Tahoe's, Burbans etc that I have seen around here.  Maybe different laws in Canada or for vehicles made or destined for here, not sure.
Quite possibly the Canada thing. I had a '99 Super Duty that had the DRL headlight setup. Reduced power headlights. The truck originally came from Canada.

Lifted07 said:
  Maybe different laws in Canada or for vehicles made or destined for here, not sure.
Canada is different for DRLs

ygmn said:
Canada is different for DRLs

Yes for sure, Canadian trucks are different. Sometimes I forget about our northern neighbors.

In Canada you also have to have your lights on when wipers are on which is different as well.

redheadedrod said:
Yes for sure, Canadian trucks are different. Sometimes I forget about our northern neighbors.

In Canada you also have to have your lights on when wipers are on which is different as well.
Many states also have that law. TN and OH are the first two that come to mind.

ohiobellboy said:
Many states also have that law. TN and OH are the first two that come to mind.
There law is different then whole USA?
never heard that one as what to MAnufacturers do?

I know they can do stuff for CA but it is huge market

ygmn said:
There law is different then whole USA?
never heard that one as what to MAnufacturers do?

I know they can do stuff for CA but it is huge market

They don't require the trucks to operate differently - they require the drivers to turn their lights on when they turn on their wipers.

enoniam said:
They don't require the trucks to operate differently - they require the drivers to turn their lights on when they turn on their wipers.

Lights on when wipers are on is the law here, as well.

Good luck with that.

We still have bozos here running around after dark without any headlights turned on.

:laugh:

redheadedrod said:
Sorry but you are mistaken. As mandated by the Feds all DRL's only come on when the vehicle is in a forward gear and no other lights are on. No way your buddies vehicles have them on unless they are modified otherwise or have damaged wiring.

DRL's are mandated to be lights of their own or can be reduced headlight (Low or high beam). By reduced, I mean the voltage is reduced. Most Headlight based DRL's run at around 9 volts.

Rodney

Rodney - sorry - not mistaken - purchased truck new as did 2 of my 3 friends of the years mentioned.

My DRL's are on once the ignition is turned - in park and every other gear - only time they are off - or lower is when headlights are on.

I verified the same for the 2 of the other 3 model years - the 3rd guy is out of town - but will check on his return.

No mods (other than ambers - but I doubt they would be causing this "issue") and no electrical issues.

Truck purchased in Fla. - so not Canadian - the 2 others were also purchased here in Fla.

As far as the "lights on with wipers" goes, if I simply use the "mist" function the headlights don't go on automatically.  But if I have to clean bugs, other debris, or if it is raining and the wipers are on for approx 30 seconds, the headlights automatically come on on their own, and shut off approx 30 seconds after they are turned off.

enoniam said:

that law is pretty much nation wide now..

Lights on with wipers when raining specially in the south.

I thought he meant some special DRL law.

Back