• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

clicking noise!

jessicaklip

hi so my hubbys truck was running and driving perfectly yesterday. he parked it, plugged his phone in to charge via lighter adapter and went in the house for a bit. phone was at 50% when he plugged it in. then I go to get in the truck to leave home and as I get in I notice the interior lights don't come on. no radio, power seats, nothing. without even putting the key in the ignition I notice the engine light and four ways and flashing and clicking in a rhythm. it would start and then die immediately. also to note his phone was stone dead. (don't know if a lighter adapter could suck the power out of a phone?).  checked fuses, the one under the hood for injector 2 was blown. replaced. still doing the same. hubby has checked wires everywhere and cant see any obvious issue. he noticed something under the steering column making that clicking noise and removed it but doesn't know the name of the piece or what its for. anyone have any ideas before he scraps a perfectly good truck? he says it must not have liked me as I was the last one to touch it HA.

First thing I would do is have the battery LOAD tested.

Most auto parts stores will do that for free.

First welcome to the site jessicaklip!
It helps us to know more info about your AV and anything that may be related such as year of AV, mileage and any electrical mods done. As mentioned above you may want to have battery checked if it is more than two years old.
Hope one of our electrical gurus answers soon and you find a solution to your exact problem.

Unfortunately you might have to find a short somewhere in the wire which fuse was blown. And what it sounds like what your husband removed was the relay for the lights. Have him also check the stock ground wire to chassis, as GM trucks were known for the wire burning apart and not letting cars turn on. And hopefully your phone just shut off as an emergency. Since from what I remember, car 12v plugs arent really regulated to be safe for devices. Hopefully it works out. But like the previous poster, let us know if any mods were recently done, or any other info.

Back