• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hydroboost leak

Jodiesel

SM 2003
A few weeks ago I replaced the stereo in my 2500 and noticed a drip of power steering oil on the hydroboost inside the cab.  I wiped off the drip and it reappeared the next time I drove it.  So I bought a Cardone reman hydroboost and new pressure hoses for the power steering as they were starting to weep/leak at the crimps.  Seemed like a pretty easy repair.  I should have looked at those hoses better.  They were wrapped around other items and harnesses.  By the time I had both those hoses out there was power steering fluid every freaking place you could imagine including the walls and ceiling of my garage.  If done again, I would put oil absorbent diapers throughout the engine compartment as there is just not a great place to drain all the oil. 

And then the hydroboost unit itself.  "They" must have installed it on the assembly line before the dash was installed and before the cab was mounted on the frame.  Two of those four bolts were a challenge.  Not sure if my knuckles will fully recover......

Power steering oil change:  be forewarned, when adding large quantities of fluid to the power steering pump, the oil will get stuck in that long tube.  I was following the purge procedure I had read about elsewhere; with the engine running cycle the steering back and forth and hit the brakes a couple times with the return oil hose from the hydroboost in a container, and then add oil and repeat until the return oil comes out clean.  Simple enough.  Other than when pouring new oil in the tube, the oil would get stuck on top of air.  After a couple of cycles of this, the steering pump let out a loud whine, as it ran out of oil.  I changed the procedure to cycle the steering, pump the brakes twice, then shut off the engine, pour oil in the tube, and then use the dipstick a couple of times trying to poke the oil down the tube.  After a few seconds you could hear a glug, glug as it finally drained down into the steering pump reservoir. 

After it was all said and done, now I have really good power brakes.  In fact, I don't remember them ever being this powerful.  The downside is now the power steering pump is whining from running it dry.  I guess I'll have to change that now, ugh....

Lol on the diapers in the engine compartment comment!  :D
The PSF gets all over the damn place just like you say.
My Hydroboost unit is ok, as it had been changed previously by the former owner, but the hoses ended up being all bad... after I was thoroughly convinced that the problem was a leaking steering box.
Anyhow, I encountered the exact same PSP whine you did when refilling the system.
I shut it down fast as I could when I heard that whine, as it was rather alarming, and I thought to myself "Damn I just boogered the pump".
Finished refilling, adjusting the PSF level, and cleaning everything up - and it is fine, although a very slight whine can still be heard, to this day.
It works fine, so I don't really care about the very slight noise it still makes.
So far, it hasn't leaked a drop.
I'll just run it until it croaks - but it doesn't seem that will happen anytime soon.
Good luck with your rig!  :B:

CarMech1969

I had a whining PS pump a while back.

My old school mechanic (he is a retired GM dealer mechanic I have known for years and now works for my local mechanic shop) suggested adding an ounce of STP oil treatment to the pump before I committed to a pump change.

I was skeptical, to say the least, but I tried it anyway as I was preparing to have the pump changed.

This was not an instant solution, but here we are several months and many thousands of miles since I added the STP, and I just realized that I haven't heard the PS pump making any noises in a long, long time.

Your post reminded me that I once had my PS pump whining all the time, but no more.

Worth a try before you go changing out that pump, I would think.

Hydroboost.

Jodiesel said:
Which STP did you put in?  They seem to have quite a few products now adays.....

I used the full synthetic STP Oil Treatment.

And remember, only 1 ounce was what I was told to use and that is all I put in.

It did not do anything straight away, but soon enough, I recall not hearing the whining that I had been hearing for quite a while.

I just tossed the remaining STP in the crankcase since I was due an oil change anyways, in a few weeks.

Engine a still running fine, so I guess that stuff isn't too bad.

(y)

Back