• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2003 1500 Avy WBH dying

JASKIN

SM 2017
Yesterday I went down to pick up meds. --drove around about 10 min. and headed home and my engine started losing RMP's and finally died, I shut it off and it started back up fine, reved the engine and proceeded home and a couple blocks later the same thing and I shut it down again and restarted it and drove on home (about 3 blocks). This morning I went to pick up my mail and with in 5 min.'s it just died suddenly and i Started it right buck up went a few blocks and it died suddenly, today it did not die slowly and sputter some and lose RPM's it just died, I started it back up and drove on home but have not tried anything. Full tank of gas and battery is good. Any idea where to start? It has not thrown any codes. I am reluctant to go any where with it. It has been running great and Memorial weekend I put on about 1000 miles with no problems. Help Please. I was going to head to my daughters in Lincoln,Ne this weekend but probably not now.

Thanks for reading,

quickshot

Fuel pump?

Make that 3 of us.

That's where I will start looking then, might try to get it into a shop but we are limited on repair sites. We have three and one I checked on yesterday had ten vehicles in it. Lots of farm and ranch

Thanks

If you have a parts store by you that offers free tools they should have a fuel pressure tester available so you can check to be sure.

Replacing the fuel pump is something you can do yourself for like $300 or expect to spend double that at a shop...

Make sure they replace the whole assembly and not just the pump as a worn out pump tends to tear up the wiring too and you don't want to go back and do it again if you can help it.

Thanks for the advice and we have two parts stores but they do not loan any tools. One shop said he would try and get it in tomorrow,he had two in there with the gas tanks out replacing the fuel pumps now. I just can not do much any more after 3 back surgerys and both rotor cuffs repaired,I like to tinker but am limited. I ran a freight company for 34 years and delivered tons of merchandise, unloaded 2 semi's a day and delivered it store to store and it took it's toll,didn't think I would age,ha. I'll be 78 this year and I am thinking these Avy are a young mans ride,ha.

Thanks again 

JASKIN said:
Thanks for the advice and we have two parts stores but they do not loan any tools. One shop said he would try and get it in tomorrow,he had two in there with the gas tanks out replacing the fuel pumps now. I just can not do much any more after 3 back surgerys and both rotor cuffs repaired,I like to tinker but am limited. I ran a freight company for 34 years and delivered tons of merchandise, unloaded 2 semi's a day and delivered it store to store and it took it's toll,didn't think I would age,ha. I'll be 78 this year and I am thinking these Avy are a young mans ride,ha.

Thanks again
Nah, the Avy is ageless.  :love: :B: I see young pups going after them and old dogs (you're not there yet) going after them.  It's just that the young pups have ore energy than some of us to take on the bigger jobs.

Hey, to me, you sound like a Timex watch - sounds like you took a lick'n but you keep on tick'n.  (y)  Hope they can get to your Avy soon so you can take it on your road trip.

Thanks for the reply--still waiting to get it in to the shop. Would the fuel pump relay cause the problem also?? Yea, I would like to be able to head out but things are looking iffy,it's right at 1000 miles round trip. I used to jump in my 1991 Ford conversion van and drive to Neosho,Mo in a day and just had fun but it was was also nice to drive.

JASKIN said:
Thanks for the reply--still waiting to get it in to the shop. Would the fuel pump relay cause the problem also?? Yea, I would like to be able to head out but things are looking iffy,it's right at 1000 miles round trip. I used to jump in my 1991 Ford conversion van and drive to Neosho,Mo in a day and just had fun but it was was also nice to drive.
This is going to be a long shot, not likely but possible, have you checked the fuse for the fuel pump to make sure it's not lose or on it's way out.  I still suspect it's the fuel pump itself but can never hurt to go after the low hanging fruit before dropping serious coin.

I will have him check that fuse, he said fuel pressure is good and no codes have been thrown. He has let it sit and idle for 1/2 hour and no bobble or misses.

I wonder if you could have gotten some bad gas.

Was it raining when this happened?

100? and dry. When he drove it around--  it died on him twice and he had his gauges hooked up -- no codes but fuel pressure drop to 15 psi--he is sure it is the fuel pump. ignition switch voltage good when it died -He thought it might be camshaft sensor? but no codes have appeared.

That sounds like a bad fuel pump to me. Glad he figured it out.

Update on results. Shop installed a new fuel and filter and I made the 1200 mile journey and it never acted up again,BUT now I have trouble adding gas and it throws a PO446 code and PO445. Last gas refill took me 5 in. and I could not get it full and drove around a few blocks and tried again and put in 5.6 gal and it was full.  :E:
What now?

First thing  I would start with is the gas cap

I would have your mechanic that changed the fuel pump have a look at it. Maybe something came loose.

Refill is separate issue and deals with vent lines etc

also in your post did he change the FUEL or FUEL PUMP? and filter?

Changed the fuel pump and fuel filter--he is out of town for a bit as his Mother died. Will talk to him when he returns. Thanks for the replies

Back