• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Aternator stopped charging

CarMech1969

Looks like I gotta get a new alternator.
Battery light flickered on the way home, after I romped on it to pass somebody...lol
When I got home and grabbed my voltmeter, I have 12.4 volts ignition off, 11.9 volts engine running.
I turned off the truck, then checked for battery voltage at the main wire - I have it.
I then tested for voltage at the exciter wire on the 2 pin plug, and I have around 10.9 volts on one wire with the key on, and 0.2 volts key off.
Guess it's pretty safe to say I smoked it huh?
Will be finding out soon enough.
I'll let you all know what happens!

CarMech1969

Here's what the armature in the old alternator looks like:

IMG_0084.jpg

My guess is that it hasn't been charging properly for awhile, and I just didn't notice it.
The stupid Passlock 'Security' light that stares me in the face daily probably has encouraged me to ignore these things.
Anyhoo - it's all fixed after tossing another alternator at it.

'Til next time...  :B:

CarMech1969

Yowsa, that baby is toast.  Glad it was an easy fix and you're back up and running.

frito said:
Yowsa, that baby is toast.  Glad it was an easy fix and you're back up and running.

Thanks frito!
I'm just glad it happened in town close to home, and not on an extended road trip!

CarMech1969

Seldom are we lucky enough o have anything break in the driveway; it's usually far from a tool box, a place to fix it and the part as well, it's at night, in the rain/snow when you GOT to pick your S/O up on time or ELSE!

dna9656 said:
Seldom are we lucky enough o have anything break in the driveway; it's usually far from a tool box, a place to fix it and the part as well, it's at night, in the rain/snow when you GOT to pick your S/O up on time or ELSE!

I was dam lucky as my fuel pump went out in my driveway!

I was like damn CarMech is having tons of trouble this month, now the fuel pump?!? And then I saw djfcars had posted on an old thread.
So did your fuel pump just recently go out djfcars? You get it replaced?

Back