• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Leaks in the bed fixes and hidden dirt

VtxcalibuR

Noticed i had water entering the bed and noticed how. The long rubber seals on the covers allow rain to seep between. Took some black rtv silicone and sealed them. Also at the top of the truck there was black tree sap in the channels. That crap will destroy your clear coat. Also found the same between the door jam and weatherstripping on top as well. Got to figure out how to remove it. OCD is on overdrive

Another place water comes in is the side water gutters that run along the top of the bed sides under the latch plates. The flexible rubber can separate from the harder plastic allowing water to leak along the bed sides. I just ran electrical tape along the crack on top and bottom. Still holding after almost 10 years.

I had that problem too carnut, I put a self-tapping screw in it.

bedrail.GIF

BEfore you seal up cover...
Stand it on each end to let any water drain out....
Might take a day or 2 on each end...
And yes they get water in thru the seams in this same place where seals are.

MS03 2500 said:
I had that problem too carnut, I put a self-tapping screw in it.

bedrail.GIF

Not talking about where the long channel dumps into the end drains. I'm talking about that long channel about 4 feet long that dumps the water into the end drains.

carnut said:
Not talking about where the long channel dumps into the end drains. I'm talking about that long channel about 4 feet long that dumps the water into the end drains.

Well here is what I did to keep my bed dry and stop all the leaks.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=150120.msg2138922#msg2138922

Back