• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Sign of the fuel pump failing?

archaicguy

First let me say that I don't drive it a lot the wife usually does and it was fine the last time I drove it so here is what I've been told recently.
For the last week I have been told that the motor cranks longer before it starts so I went out to start it today. After sitting all evening yesterday and all day today it did take a second or 2 longer to start, and after being run it started back up normally a few times with 30 minute intervals. So considering there are no check engine lights and it acted up on a cold start does that sound like a fuel pump failing to you?

Another area of concern might be you battery, how old is it and does the AV get driven enough for it to charge up? May want to get it load tested.

Try this, turn the key on, wait and off three times, on the third time start the truck, if it starts normally then the pressure reg. is bad. give it a tr and post back.  R.

I thought I would crank it up this morning before leaving for work and it started right up like normal.

I will try the press. reg. check if I still have problems, thanks for that idea.

Could be fuel pump
or regulator
or injector leaking

Somethign that causes fuel pressure to drop.... easy test by getting a fuel pressure gage and start up truck watch gage...
Turn truck off and watch gage.... if it drops slowly......my guess would be 1 of those 3 above..

ok after having some time this morning to look it over it appears I have a fuel leak at the top of the fuel tank somewhere. We have been noticing the smell of gas and it is gas running down the side and bottom. It is coming from the center of the tank. This is why it would be losing pressure when sitting.

Are there any special tools or pointers to dropping the tank enough to get a visual on what is leaking?

probably leaking from the pump assy where the tubes come out as my guess it is rusted.

I was just diagnosed as having a fuel pump leaking on my 2003 1500 North Face. Garage says they need to further investigate but said they will drop the tank to verify the leak. Said a camera was used to investigate the issue. If it is leaking, what are the chances it is a line? Pump replacement necessary. How about the tank issue I read about saying that the rust/rot causes the seal to go bad therefore needing to replace the tank? I know the shop owner and he is a good guy. I would appreciate the insight from the experts on this forum just to educate myself. Decisions are made easier when you have an idea what direction is best. I don't do this type of work myself. Thanks in advance.

Just dropped my tank this morning to see what the issue is. The tank itself is plastic so that was never a thought but the fuel pump was the culprit. It was very rusted and the arms of the pump had rusted enough to be leaking gas. Getting the new pump today and should be a breeze going back in.

if yo uhave 2003 and on original fuel pump... might not be a bad idea to replace ... cause she has had long life already... unless mileage is low..

yea I replaced the fuel pump

I would add that one of the most frustrating parts of it was getting the fuel pump lock ring locked back... what a PIA.

Back