• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How scared should I be of the AFM issues?

Rowdymon

After losing the Air Con in my 89 Tahoe and it being too expensive to repair for that vehicle, I've decided to downsize from my hauling vehicle and daily driver to a single vehicle that can do dual duty. 

I haul a trailer a dozen times a year, so I need a truck.  I'm also 6'6" and am just more comfortable in a truck.

I have been drawn to the Avalanche because of the mid gate, and how that would work well for some of my needs *and for my dogs*. 

The only thing that worries me is the AFM.  Because I work from home now, and for the foreseeable future, and hating the cost for new vehicles I'm looking at used.  07 and up, with 100-125k miles on them.  I just don't know how worried I should be of the AFM issues for this generation of vehicles.  Hoping some of y'all can shed some light on if this is a thing for *some* of the trucks, or if it's one of those inevitable problems with all of them?

First welcome to the site!
There are many threads about the AFM system and most of the problems seem to be posted about 2007 AVs. I attribute that to it being a first year run of the new design AV. As my father told me many decades ago try to avoid buying the first year of any vehicle regardless of model or manufacturer, "you don't want to be their test dummy".
There have been some revision and updated parts to the AV so problems have lessened somewhat over time. You might sleep easier if you could get a 2008 or newer AV.
All that being said reading the Problems section of any fan or owner website would scare most people away for ownership of any vehicle since it seems the most frequent posts are by a vocal minority of owners who are searching for solutions to a problem and as a general rule most owners don't post things like "I drove my AV today and nothing bad happened!"
You will get a more positive opinion of ownership when you consider the vast majority of AV owners are not members of this site and out of the membership only a minority post about problems. You should read threads about joining the 100,000 or 200,000 or even 300,000 mile club or the survey threads where they ask AV owners if they could do it over would they buy another AV. Many members have bought one AV after another or even owned 2 or 3 or more at one time too.

Thank you very much, I hadn't made the connection with the 07's.  That's good information to take into account.

I read a lot of the threads about the AFM, which is what prompted me to post this.  I know it's an issue that runs across all the vehicles.  My father still drives his 07 Tahoe with almost 200k miles on it with no issues.  But I didn't buy it, so I wasn't doing research on the topic...lol.

why not a 2002-2006 that do not have AFM?

Well I ended up picking up an 07 after all, had enough of a discount I can afford to replace the engine if it comes to that...lol. 

Generally I prefer the looks and the ride of the Suburbans 07 and up.  If I were going to be doing off road and/or need a 4x4 I would have looked at the first gens. 

Congrats on the new to you ride Rowdymon

Thanks kindly...

Here's mine...bone stock and well cared for, just like I like to get them.  Wouldn't surprise me to find out it was a club member who sold it.  Started it's life in Louisiana, I bought her from a dealership where it was traded in a few weeks ago in Round Rock.

tgJj2yl.jpg

Gqpvvir.jpg

Back