• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Belltech 34324 pro coil spring install

GoNavy429

Just got Belltech 34324 spring kit installed to drop my 08 Av two wheel drive LS down 3 inch in the back.  Well it say will do 3-4 inch drop, it dropped mine 4 inch even with the spacer provided.  Installed called Bell tech and they come up with this flimsy excuse that their web page showed the wrong spring kit for the Avalanche, and they were sending out another spring that does 2-3 inch drop.  HHmm seems fishy, the only other kit I see is for 00-06 Av's and to boot once it comes in next week...jeez (have drive around for a week with the front on truck higher then the back) I have to come and pay an additional $75 to put the correct spring on...now here is my thought seems odd this only happened to me and the 34324 is sold by every one without a problem, no one else on the internet with an AV seems to having this problem.  I crawled under the Av a little while ago and noticed they used the shock extenders, instructions say those are for autoride, I don't have autoride and if you look up the shock extenders by their self they are only for the 00-06 Av's. 

So anyone know if the shock extenders could make the ride height not be right, going lower then it is suppose to go, just curious before I go blame the installers for screwing this up.

Well here is the latest update on the Belltech 34324 Pro coil spring.  It seems this unit will only provide the 3 or 4 inch drop for Autoride equip AV's only, any other AV regardless of year model will result in a 4 or 5 inch drop dependent on using a spacer.  You have to have a different spring for non autoride AV's and you get a 2 or 3 inch drop, no option for 4 or 5 inch available regardless of what any web site says, including Belltechs, how screwed up is that, which is fine just wish they let folks know on their website so Belltech call to tech support could be avoided and paying for a second install.  Of course I'll have to let you know if this really works, still haven't got the new spring yet, should get it in a few days.  Right now I ended up with a 4 inch drop, so my wheel well measurements are 35 1/4 front and 34 1/4 in the rear wheel well, hopefully the new spring fixes that, will keep folks posted. 

I also wanted to post a Belltech Application Guide for 2011 pdf, most recent I could find, much more accurate then their website for all belltech stuff Av's are on page 30-34 I think, but it clearly shows Avalanche without Autoride shocks 07-11 drop is 4 -5 inch spring 733, which is what that kit (34324) will come with, unless you use spring 747 then it is 2-3 inch, but you'll have to ask for that I believe, sure wish I seen that before the original install..lol...

http://industry.kw-suspension.com/Catalogs_Pricing_Guides/Belltech-Full-App-Guide-2011.pdf

Since no one want to comment on this and I still don't have the new correct springs YET, I was wondering about maybe forgetting the new springs and maybe leave it where it is (4 in drop instead of the required 3 in) and instead putting new struts and shocks up front, the adjustable ones and bring the front down an inch to match the rear.  So my question is ..what's the general consensus, put the on the new spring and get the rear up to just a 3 inch drop to level the truck, or leave it and drop the front to match the rear.. and of course I still have no idea about how these Nivomat shocks (premium ride ZW7 pro code) in the back are going to react, they have shock extenders installed currently

wheel well measurements:

currently front 35 1/4 rear is 34 1/4 (used to be 38 1/4) with the wrong springs installed

new replacement springs should get me to 35 1/4 front/back

or change out front to adj struts/shocks 34 1/4 front/back

Have you considered coil overs. There are a lot of option out there.
You would have more option on adjustability. 

GoNavy429 said:
So anyone know if the shock extenders could make the ride height not be right, going lower then it is suppose to go, just curious before I go blame the installers for screwing this up.
Shock extenders do NOT alter the ride height, they simply drop the lower mounting point to maintain a factory or near factory shock angle to avoid binding and over-compression. If you are dropping more than 2", which you clearly are, you should absolutely use them. If you are dropping 4" and retain the stock lower mounting location, you are only going to have roughly 3/4" of travel remaining on the compression stroke of the shock before it bottoms out, not to mention the increased compression rate from the drop will lead to premature failure.

Calicak89 said:
Shock extenders do NOT alter the ride height, they simply drop the lower mounting point to maintain a factory or near factory shock angle to avoid binding and over-compression. If you are dropping more than 2", which you clearly are, you should absolutely use them. If you are dropping 4" and retain the stock lower mounting location, you are only going to have roughly 3/4" of travel remaining on the compression stroke of the shock before it bottoms out, not to mention the increased compression rate from the drop will lead to premature failure.

Thanks Calicak89, wasn't suppose to be a 4" drop, that is the whole point, the correct spring should be here this week to make it a 3" drop like it is suppose to be..since you know about this stuff, the premium ride which I have Zw7 pro code are the Nivomat shocks and will return the truck to the correct ride height when loaded...now since I lowered the truck 4" (currently, until the right spring arrives) and the shock extenders only added 2" that leaves 2" unaccounted for, shouldn't the Nivomat shocks be bringing this back up, why are they not doing anything, and what about once I do get the correct 3" drop and the truck is level, are the Nivomat shock not going to do their job if I put a couple hundred pounds in the bed or if I pull my utility trailer (which I occasionally do) which has a 250 lbs tongue weight at least depended on what I have in it, because if these Nivomats aren't going to do the job, I need to start thinking about adding some air bags (the ones inside the coil springs deals) thanks for any help on this, because I feel like I am heading down the rabbit hole on this deal, don't know where it is going to end...lol

I think you are slightly confused as to what the ZW7 code refers to and what it is designed to do.  This is a suspension package, not just a shock upgrade, and is not auto-leveling. This shock and spring package are used to create a plusher/more comfortable ride for those using their Av/Sub/Tahoe primarily as a passenger vehicle and not as a utility/offroad/hauler. 
The ZW7 RPO (not pro) code is the code for the Nivomat shock and spring combo (AKA smooth ride package) as you indicated, however, these are not air-ride or auto-leveling.  In lieu of one of the conventional spring/shock combos this package subs in a slightly softer than normal spring in lieu of the standard and the Nivomat (high pressure) shock in lieu of standard.  They work in conjunction with one another as a package, not independently. The shock and the spring in this package are teammates and do not play well with others.
Since you have swapped springs, presumably to a higher spring rate (since shorter) or progressive rate, your Nivomat shocks are not going to have as much (or no) effect  on the ride height as they would normally have when working with the lower spring rate of your old springs. For the most part, you should be relying upon the spring to set the ride height (not shocks) and buy a pair of shocks with the appropriate dampening for your intended usage and new stroke length (-1" if you are using -3 springs and +2 extenders) although at only -1, stock length would still be satisfactory.
hope this helps.

Thank you, so basically I have a somewhat normal shock now, or at least normal enough.  With only slightly more then 51k on my truck, I have a lot of life left with these shocks.  Do you think I should still replace them.. Belltech makes a specific shock for this spring coil set, the rear LO Nitro Drop 2, could get a set for under a hundred buck, wouldn't need the shock extenders then, would it be worth the cost to switch to them now

I would say that is completely a judgement call on your part. I ran -2 extenders on a -2.5" drop with stock length and stroke shocks for nearly 5 years before replacing them.  When I did, I switched to the DJM Calmax, they were noticeably better, but that could have been because the stock ones were completely shot (88k miles w/ 52k being lowered).

Back