• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

03 Battery drain on 3 Fuses

nloe

Hi, I have a 2003 Avalanche 1500 with a Parasitic Battery Drain. I did the Multimeter and Fuse pull test. I have a 1.68A draw and found draws from the following fuses:
RADIO: 0.80A     
IPC/DIC: 0.40A
INFO: 0.22A

I have an aftermarket radio, I unplugged it from the factory harness but still had the same amperage draw through the radio fuse, so the draw is somewhere in that fuse circuit but it is not from the radio itself. I have the wire diagrams but cannot find the cause and it seems nobody else has on the internet, even though this is a common problem.

I'm going to put in a tpst or 3 spst toggle switches in now to "turn off" the fuse connections overnight temporarily until I can find the root causes of these drains.
Has anybody figured out the root causes? Thanks!

Based on a similar issue in my truck (Mine was pulling 5.6 amps) I would suggest trying to test again.

My experience was that I was also getting action from the Radio, DIC and Info modules.

I used a cheap HF meter and connected it in series with my battery. 
What I found was that the Radio, DIC and Info modules were NOT the issue. If I go out and connect the meter right now those same modules will show up as pulling current. Wait about 10 minutes for them to go back to sleep and see what you have.

I was able to trace mine down to a specific wire that goes to the Passenger seat. I moved the passenger seat to access the wires and the short went away. I will look again at the wiring when I pull the seat to reinstall my console but for now it is working so I am not messing with it.

If I connect mine right now I get about 2.5 amp draw for like 10 minutes then it goes back to .02

So try again and see what happens. You MAY just have a bad battery or a loose battery connection if you show under .05 after 10 minutes.

Rodney

I was getting a 1.35A-1.4A drain, at rest, in my 03 Av.  I broke down and took it to my local trusted shop.  In the course of their confirming my results (below), they then took the fuse block / engine wiring harness junction block loose, and the drain disappeared... So, now we're waiting for a new harness to arrive for installation early next week.  I'll update this thread as I can.

Cheers // Ian

1.35 -> 1.40A at rest
? LBEC2 0.1A
? TBC BATT 0.05
? IPC/DIC 0.5A
? HVAC/ECAS 0.05A
? RADIO 0.5A
? INFO 0.2A

Back