• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

8.1 liter Vortec seems a little sluggish in hot weather

CarMech1969

Hello again CAFCNA!
Thought I'd share this experience with you.
Past few days have been hot like an oven (mid 30s C or mid 90s F) with humidity levels hovering around 45C or 115F.
The truck runs and drives fine, although it seems like it doesn't pull quite as hard in these higher temps.
Is this pretty normal due to higher air intake temperatures, causing the ECM to pull timing...or could it be something that I need to investigate further?
Any ideas or experiences that you may have regarding this situation would be great.
Thanks again, and a good summer to all!  :B:

CarMech1969

Here is an idea should solve any loss of oomph.
http://www.raylarengineering.com/vortec-8100-496cid-forced-induction-performance-parts.html

>:D

:drive:

Oh for sure JVZL1!!
Hopefully, I get a custom tuned rig going some time before I die.
That being said, I have looked at those Raylar packages a time or two!

CarMech1969

I have the 5.3 Z71 vs the 8.1 2500, but yeah, it seems to be bogging down more with all this heat.  Seems like the could design something that ties into the a/c system to cool down the intake air a bit.

Yeah the AC is a buzzkill and mileage drops down to 10 mpg with the 8.1lL. I take the rear window out and enjoy the breeze.

Well guys,
After doing a little research, I discovered that the Air Intake Temp sensor is integral to the Mass Air Flow sensor. To my knowledge, the MAF has never been cleaned, and it's stated that cleaning needs to be done periodically in order for the ECM to properly calculate the correct air/fuel ratio.
Truck has nearly 170000 miles on her now, so it's worth a shot.
Gonna try that in the morning and see what the 'butt dyno' tells me! lol

CarMech1969

Cleaning the MAF will help out a lot, for some reason they are very sensitive to a dirty MAF.
I use CRC maf cleaner

MS03 2500 said:
Cleaning the MAF will help out a lot, for some reason they are very sensitive to a dirty MAF.
I use CRC maf cleaner

That is the stuff I picked up today. Got it at NAPA.
Cleaned the MAF up according to the directions, and gave plenty of time for it to dry.
Took care of the throttle butterfly while I was at it...was coked up pretty good.
Will see if the cleaning helps the truck run any better soon enough!

CarMech1969

Just my .02.

Have you ever changed out the O2 sensors?

As far as Raylar they sure have some neat things.
Would like to have their stock modified intake manifold.

Back