• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Weird turn signal/headlights/daytime running lamp issue

Jamesq324

I have an 02 Avalanche North Face Edition. The issue I'm having is when I start the truck the drl's are on and with them on my turn signals flash fast and both flash at the same time but one is brighter than the other. When all other lights are off they flash normal. Also, when I press the horn the turn signal indicator lights light up. Oh and the horn barely squeaks out a sound. I've read that it is the multifunction switch and changed it with a junkyard switch but am having the same issues. Is it possible that I got a switch with the same issues as mine or could there be something else going on? :E:

First welcome to the website!

Have you had your AV since 2002 or did you get it used?
Do you have any aftermarket things like stereo, alarm system, remote start etc.?
Has the Av been in any high water situations?

I bought it used and have had it for roughly 6 months now. Not too sure about the high water situation. I've checked fuses and changed the relay and as stated in the post I bought a junkyard multifunction switch. I'm hoping it's something that will be a cheap fix because the multifunction switch itself is over $200.

Also, no aftermarket accessories that I've seen anyway. Bone stock from what I can tell.

Jamesq324 said:
I have an 02 Avalanche North Face Edition. The issue I'm having is when I start the truck the drl's are on and with them on my turn signals flash fast and both flash at the same time but one is brighter than the other. When all other lights are off they flash normal. Also, when I press the horn the turn signal indicator lights light up. Oh and the horn barely squeaks out a sound. I've read that it is the multifunction switch and changed it with a junkyard switch but am having the same issues. Is it possible that I got a switch with the same issues as mine or could there be something else going on? :E:

Possibly, you have lost a good ground connection common to a couple or more of those circuits.
First, I'd make sure that all the turn signal indicators and marker lamps operate as they should.
If that checks out ok, then see if the drl's are shorted to the marker light or turn signal light circuit in some way. Could still be a bad bulb (if the the filament has broken and started feeding power to another filament), or a melted bulb socket, or even wires that have melted or chafed against each other, causing a short. You could even have the horn circuit backfeeding other circuits because it has lost its ground (which could explain the lack of horn volume, and an unrelated circuit operating when the horn button is pressed).

CarMech1969

Check the fuse box for extra wires, years ago many members were doing the full-time DRL mod or all on 4 mod

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/daytimemod.htm

Now that you mention it, I think it could be a ground issue because the horn will be semi loud at times but still sound like it's going in and out when pressed. Not to big on messing with auto electrical so I'm not sure where to even start searching all those. Can anybody help me out with that?

Back