• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Brake rotor size VS GVW

dna9656

There are 3 different GVWs for the 06 Avi. What OEM P/N do I need for the 7000LBS. GVW 4 X 4 (Z71/LT) do I use?
My original comment when i was looking for the stock rotors, NOW I want up upgrade to the GMT()) standard because the brakes are the one thing I really don't like about the 1999 Tahoe I had and the 06 Avi, since reading this thread i get why I don't (didn't) like either, because they use the same brake system!

You should read this thread about changing the brakes on first gen AVs to second generation AVs to get better braking :

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=122524.0

The only thing is i think you need 17 inch or larger rims to fit the bigger brakes.....

Yes you need 17" rims with that upgrade. But it is worth it...

As far as I am aware all of the Avy's have same brakes from 2002-2006 so I don't know where you are getting your information?

And you should be able to pull the GVW from the door sticker regardless.

dna9656 said:
There are 3 different GVWs for the 06 Avi. What OEM P/N do I need for the 7000LBS. GVW 4 X 4 (Z71/LT) do I use?
I think it Depends if you have LOCKER Rear end or not as the thickness is different.  BEen a long time but best to measure your rear rotor and then compare to what is listed before buying new... many have seemed to always get the wrong one first...

MURPHY's LAW.

The only thing that makes sense is that the 2500 would use a different pad than the 1500 but for the 1500 you have either 2wd or 4wd and either cladded or non-cladded.

Don't know if 2wd has a higher towing capacity or not.

But as I mentioned in the PM. You can generally look up the part number on one of the online dealers, there are a tleast two that i am aware of.

Many members sing the praises of upgrading to 2007+ brakes so I can only assume that would be the way to go.......

redheadedrod said:
The only thing that makes sense is that the 2500 would use a different pad than the 1500 but for the 1500 you have either 2wd or 4wd and either cladded or non-cladded.

Don't know if 2wd has a higher towing capacity or not.

But as I mentioned in the PM. You can generally look up the part number on one of the online dealers, there are a tleast two that i am aware of.

Another thing I realized is that the 2500 rear brake pad is the same part # as the 1500 front pad  >:D
As for the 2500 front brake pad? Even bigger still.
First time I braked on the highway in my newly purchased 2500 Av, I felt like maybe I was going to go through the windshield! Lol  :D
Yeah exaggerating just a little. The difference in braking power, compared to a GMC half-ton I used to own, however....is unbelievable.
Reins in 7000 lbs in a big hurry. It's a damn good truck. I'm happy with it  :B:

CarMech1969

Now about this upgrade from the 2006 Avi brake set up to the 2007 Tahoe set up.... can I do the front end first and the the back axle later?

The pistons in the caliper are bigger also in the front, but I would not want to try a swap into a 1500. Seems the GMT900 upgrade would be easier.

You can do the fronts and rears at different times yes... But unless you don't lose much brake fluid you will need to bleed the rear brakes too. If you don't remove the cap on the master cylinder I have found you don't loose much fluid from the brake lines atleast not enough to require bleeding the rears too but you are still better off bleeding the rears if you can.

The rear brakes others have found are already bigger on the older trucks so just go with your standard 2006 rear pads.

Rodney

Vaeagleav said:
You should read this thread about changing the brakes on first gen AVs to second generation AVs to get better braking :

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=122524.0

The only thing is i think you need 17 inch or larger rims to fit the bigger brakes.....
The link is dead but thanks!

redheadedrod said:

As far as I am aware all of the Avy's have same brakes from 2002-2006 so I don't know where you are getting your information?

I have exp. some confusion here on the whole GMT 800 VS. 900 thing. So this morning I have learned that I HAVE a GMT800 or GMT 830) last built in '06. The standard I want to build to is the GMT 900....duh.... sorry for my lack of knowledge!!!

ygmn said:
I think it Depends if you have LOCKER Rear end or not as the thickness is different.  BEen a long time but best to measure your rear rotor and then compare to what is listed before buying new... many have seemed to always get the wrong one first...

MURPHY's LAW.
I have the factory locker rear axle.

redheadedrod said:

I have the 17" Chevy wheels.

I don't know what you mean by a dead link? I click on it and get the thread on this website with nine pages of posts and info.....
Try this link and see if you can read any of the nine pages:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=109.0
If not go the section for Performance Mods brake section and it will be the first post on the board....

Vaeagleav said:
I don't know what you mean by a dead link? I click on it and get the thread on this website with nine pages of posts and info.....
Try this link and see if you can read any of the nine pages:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=109.0
If not go the section for Performance Mods brake section and it will be the first post on the board....
Well, the link didn't work for me yesterday, but does today! THANK YOU!

redheadedrod said:
You can do the fronts and rears at different times yes... But unless you don't lose much brake fluid you will need to bleed the rear brakes too. If you don't remove the cap on the master cylinder I have found you don't loose much fluid from the brake lines atleast not enough to require bleeding the rears too but you are still better off bleeding the rears if you can.

The rear brakes others have found are already bigger on the older trucks so just go with your standard 2006 rear pads.

Rodney
I bought a air powered brake bleeder, it uses compressed air (I'm fortunate enough to have a shop compressor) and it does a whiz-bang job!

Only think you upgrade is the front brakes.. Everything else is the same... So if you have a 2006 Avy, get 2006 Avy parts. No one has mentioned any improvements going to a newer model of anything else.

Rodney

redheadedrod said:
Only think you upgrade is the front brakes.. Everything else is the same... So if you have a 2006 Avy, get 2006 Avy parts. No one has mentioned any improvements going to a newer model of anything else.

Rodney
Thanks Rodney, some many post to look at and consider, just the reseach and then finding the best price can be overwhelming....

When I did my 03 was over whelmed with all the info. :E: :E:

Looked at the Tahoe Police up grade. Went to dealership for the calipers and brackets.
He printed off two pages of part numbers. Which one do you want?  :needhug:
After research not really an upgrade.

I went to NAPA ordered calipers and brackets for a 08 1500. Just trying not to deal with the 2007 classic. 

After getting the calipers and brackets you have to make another decision what rotors and pads.  :needhug:

You will never regret doing this upgrade.  :love: :love: :love: :love:  (y) (y) (y)
Just my .02

Back