• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking to buy an Avalanche, need help.

Ace273017

Hello all!  Came across this site while trying to research an Avalanche to buy.  Seems like a better way to go than just on car sites. 

Biggest problem i have is all the different problems that people say avalanches have.  I work at a gas station, anyone that comes in with one i try to talk and find out if they have had issues.  So far none.  One guy was very knowledgeable about problems (midgate seal etc) with years other than his own (07) but he has had none.  Saw a few saying they had issues with the brake traction control, stabilitrak, and suspension but when i googled it a ton of other models came up first. So it almost seems like its the same as any car.  There are just gonns be some that do have real problems.  It seems like alot of the problems are in thr first years of each gen as well.

My girlfriend is also against me getting one.  Last argument she finally had a good point other than youre not getting one. Since they have been discontinued is it harder to find parts or have worked on in general? And that even if i get a 2010 itll almost be 10 years old.  Also the higher mileage is a bit concerning but ive see  a lot of posts with them going strong 200k+ miles.

So basically any information in helping me make a decision on a year would be much appreciated.  I know you cant make it for me but just looking for all the tools to make an informed decision.  I dont need this for work or hauling anything like a boat etc, I just have been in love with the look since their debut.  I just want a black one with black rims.  I really like the 2010s.  My dream would be a Black Diamond but until i win the lottery that wont be happening.

In general the 09-13 still have plenty of parts still available.

The more toys on it the more it's going to cost to maintain.

I'm being very general because I don't want to insult other owners

They share parts with other Chevy trucks and suburbans.... and they made a lot of them and you can still get parts for them as well.

I think the first year was the best and had the least problems.... but I am biased and have a 2002.

Look around since you are buying used the condition and problems will more then likley be due to previous ownership and how they took care of it...

some on here have found very low mileage avys (under 100K)...

just keep looking until you find one that catches your eye and wallet....

Good luck and welcome

First welcome to the website!

You may want to spend some time looking at various sections of this site. As with any website about a vehicle you will read many threads about problems since those with issues tend to be the most vocal and in some cases repetitive. If all you read is the "problems" section you might be scared to buy one but there are many threads with titles like "if you had it to do again would you buy one etc." Threads also on rumors of a third gen AV coming out each year since the last year of 2013 production and high mileage AVs with 200,000 or 300,000 plus miles on them as well as those owners who have more than one AV.
Face it very few owners post things like drove my AV today and nothing bad happened.
The thing you need to consider in buying any used vehicle is it's service and maintenance/accident/flooding record. Not even CarFax is 100% foolproof in that any repairs or damage has to be fixed at a reporting garage and if nothing was done or the owner or a small shop fixed things it may not make it to the reporting company.
Some owners of 2007 AVs have complained of problems with the active fuel management system or AFM where it shuts down cylinders to save gas mileage but not every owner has that problem.
My father taught me decades ago to try and not buy the first year of any vehicle generation since the bugs haven't been worked out and he didn't want to be the factory's test dummy. That advice has help me avoid lemons over the years.
The AV does share many parts with Suburban and Silverado trucks but some parts are hard to find like the lower plastic cladding on first gen AVs 2002-2006. Since you are looking for second gen AV it may not be so hard to find parts for now.
Good luck with your search.....

ygmn said:
They share parts with other Chevy trucks and suburbans.... and they made a lot of them and you can still get parts for them as well.

I think the first year was the best and had the least problems.... but I am biased and have a 2002.
Look around since you are buying used the condition and problems will more then likley be due to previous ownership and how they took care of it...
some on here have found very low mileage avys (under 100K)...
just keep looking until you find one that catches your eye and wallet....

Good luck and welcome

Good to know they share parts with other models.

A guy I used to work with had an 03 with no problems that were huge when I asked him recently. 

Yeah Ive been looking closely for number or owners, history etc. Have a buddy that runs a higher end new/used car lot, was gonna have him keep an eye out for me when he goes to auctions.

Vaeagleav said:
First welcome to the website!

You may want to spend some time looking at various sections of this site. As with any website about a vehicle you will read many threads about problems since those with issues tend to be the most vocal and in some cases repetitive. If all you read is the "problems" section you might be scared to buy one but there are many threads with titles like "if you had it to do again would you buy one etc." Threads also on rumors of a third gen AV coming out each year since the last year of 2013 production and high mileage AVs with 200,000 or 300,000 plus miles on them as well as those owners who have more than one AV.
Face it very few owners post things like drove my AV today and nothing bad happened.
The thing you need to consider in buying any used vehicle is it's service and maintenance/accident/flooding record. Not even CarFax is 100% foolproof in that any repairs or damage has to be fixed at a reporting garage and if nothing was done or the owner or a small shop fixed things it may not make it to the reporting company.
Some owners of 2007 AVs have complained of problems with the active fuel management system or AFM where it shuts down cylinders to save gas mileage but not every owner has that problem.
My father taught me decades ago to try and not buy the first year of any vehicle generation since the bugs haven't been worked out and he didn't want to be the factory's test dummy. That advice has help me avoid lemons over the years.
The AV does share many parts with Suburban and Silverado trucks but some parts are hard to find like the lower plastic cladding on first gen AVs 2002-2006. Since you are looking for second gen AV it may not be so hard to find parts for now.
Good luck with your search.....

I looked around for quite a bit before i decided to sign up and post, i thought having a group of passionate owners would be more helpful than only the negatives on a car site. 
Yeah ive always been like your father and stay away from the first run of anything.
The AFM was mostly in 07s right?  I didnt see that come up much for other years.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Welcome.
AFM is after 07.
Didn?t have an issue with the 2011 that I had nor the 2013 I still have.
Can still find parts for my 2002 as it?s coming up on 300k any day now.
Good luck.

Agree parts are easy to find - suburban, tahoe, silverado all share parts. Every time I try to convince myself I need a new Tahoe or Escalade, I drive it for a few minutes, and wonder what I was thinking. Buttery smooth like nothing else...

I have an 05 that is approaching 200k miles. I don't think it's had any more problems than other trucks. I'm a pretty average DIY mechanic and have done brakes, wheel bearings, u-joints, shocks, stereo, replaced a couple of interior dash plastics, etc. Plus I had a new transmission done at like 150k.
The truck still looks & drives great. I tow a 5k lb boat pretty regularly, can get 6 adults in the cab with seatbelts, & has the largest locking trunk in the business. It's great in tight parking lots with power retractable mirrors and it's a good 2' or 3' shorter than any other truck with an 8' bed. The 4wd is great in snow with about any AT tire. I have the cloth interior with heated seats & it still looks great. I've never had much of a problem with seals in the bed covers or midgate. They do leak if you go thru a car wash or aim a garden hose right at them, but not with average rain or snow or hand washing it. Typically i have the back window out & the rear seat & midgate down for months at a time.
I will definitely get a newer Avalanche when I upgrade. Thought about picking one up to drop in a 6 liter &/or a turbo. Would be a fun project & be even better than what I've got now.

I have an 2005, original owner approaching 92,000 miles and no problems.  Parts are incredibly easy.  IT'S A FREAKIN CHEVY!
The only reason I would sell mine is the world is getting smaller and so are the parking spaces... Next time someone makes me an offer I could well take them up on it!!!  I still get 19 mpg on the freeway and average 1 in town.  Might have to get a tune up soon when she reaches here 100K miles birthday, but that is still years away.

Back