• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Aftermarket oil cooler (Hayden 1046) - What to do about original plumbing?

russmcb

Hi, guys.  I'm in the middle of this project with my 2002 2500, 220,000 miles, and hoping for some good advice.

My radiator split last week, so I replaced it (along with water pump, fan clutch, hoses, belts).

The new radiator had oil cooler fittings slightly smaller than original (just a tiny bit).  I used some tools to decrease the OD of the lines' ends, and, of course, that didn't work and it started leaking at start up.

Since it was going to be a challenge to find hose ends to fit whatever size the new radiator came with, I decided to get an an aftermarket engine oil cooler from Summit (Hayden 1046).

While I'm waiting for the oil to drain, I'm wondering what I should do with the original plumbing.  I'm sure I shouldn't simply plug the two hoses.  The two options I've come up with are:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Loop them together so the oil just travels through them (and use the oil filter sandwich that came with the new cooler)
[*]Use the original hoses to feed and return to/from the new cooler.  Of course, I'll need to somehow make sure they are well sealed (I haven't thought too deeply about this yet).
[/list]
What do you think?  Have any of you been in this spot before and come up with a good solution?

I searched briefly and found some discussions, but not this specific question.

TIA.

Update:  The Hayden cooler kit came with a sandwich plate to go between the engine block and oil filter, but it seems pretty obvious there isn't enough room for it ... so,

Plan B is cut the original oil cooler lines near the radiator, put a bead on them to help keep the hose-clamped hoses in place, and run the rubber hoses from them to the Hayden oil cooler.  That's that plan, anyways.

Another option is a remote oil filter, but I don't feel like doing that.

I also noticed after popping off the grill, there's not a lot of free space in there for an aftermarket cooler.  On hindsight, perhaps a cooler smaller than the Hayden 1046 would be better?  We'll see.

The cooler in the radiator is going to be the best.

Dorman oil cooler fitting 800-726 for he 2500 5/8 engine oil cooler. They also have oil cooler lines just search for AV 2500.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=800-726

You can cut the ends off the lines and put a bead on the end of the tubing so it wont slip off with a tool from Summit. Then you can put a hose over it if you want to run an aftermarket cooler.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-010erl/overview/

You don't want to run a sandwich type on the 8.1L, you can but you will have to change the oil filter pressure bypass valve in the block above the filter to the 30psi valve or it will bypass the cooler/filter and you will never know it.

30 psi Valve... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-25161284/overview/

Good Luck..

Thanks, Randy.

I kinda got off on the wrong foot right off the bat when my new radiator did not have the right (non-changeable) fittings for the oil cooler lines.  They weren't the same as my old rad's and I just didn't feel like spending a bunch of time figuring out what they were and what I'd need to adapt them.  Plus, I absolutely needed my truck this weekend.

So, here's update #2.  Turns out, the stock hoses have a (substantial) bead and will accept a 5/8" hose.  So, that will allow me to use the original hoses with 5/8" rubber hoses to and from the aftermarket cooler.

I don't doubt the original oil cooler would probably be better, but I found myself in a little bit of a jam, so looked for alternatives.

Good to know about the sandwich adapter.  I'm glad I didn't have room for it.

That's a cool bead tool.  Saw that yesterday.  The reviews for it say it's good for thin wall aluminum tubing, but not so much for the tougher stuff.

Back