• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Headlights on 02 z71 go on and off

SavageAvyGuy

I have this weird problem with my headlights not staying on at nighttime. They turn on for a brief second, and then cut off. Not really sure if it?s a ground issue, or a bad relay, or even the headlight control switch. Any thoughts on what the cause of this issue could be??

Does it happen in the auto and manual position?

:welcome: to the club  :wave:

I saw this and wanted to chime in that I have the same problem. I have a 2002 north face, which is the same as a Z71 and my headlights will also cut in and out.

I don't have a solution, but I wanted to post all of the things I have done to troubleshoot as I hope that someone with more knowledge can get both of us set straight.

First, I am curious to know if your headlights work full time when you use the brights. For me, the brights always work and the regular beam will cut in and out. OP, do your bright lights work every time? Try it out and see if they are reliable. If they do then if one of us solves the problem we both win. Also, do you have an aftermarket radio? I ask because the light sensors are right behind the radio. I do have an aftermarket radio if it makes any difference.

I replaced the headlight switch which did not help.

I checked all of the fuses.

I checked the relay with a jumper wire.

I used a voltage meter at the connector for the headlamps to make sure it was not my bulbs and the issue existed behind the connector, it did.

I don't drive at night often, but it is very annoying and I always forget about the lights until it is too late, so I would love to get this fixed. I am considering a trip to the dealership if I can't fix this before a big cross-country drive next summer, it would be great too solve this on the cheap.

Good luck to us OP~!

Could be the fuse holder area is a little damaged or corroded. Someone couldve tried using it as a 12v Ign On source. I did it on mine and damaged it a little. Ll

This sort of issue can also happen when someone does the all on high mod or some variation of it if they follow the original creators thread.

Basically check the fitment of the socket on your relay. If it is loose you may need to use a pick and try bending the "ears" back up slightly if possible.

Problem is that if you stick anything extra down into the socket such as a diode you can stretch the socket out a little bit making it hard for the relay to make a good contact which would show up as a light going on and off. If you have too much trouble with it you may need a new under hood fuse panel.

Assuming you checked out everything else first. In my truck I soldered the leads to the diodes directly to the relays so it didn't affect the socket at all. You can also pull the fuse panel out and check under it for mouse chewing on the wires. There is quite a bit of room under the fuse panel on the '03 so may be the same on an '02.

I saw this and wanted to chime in that I have the same problem. I have a 2002 north face, which is the same as a Z71 and my headlights will also cut in and out.

I don't have a solution, but I wanted to post all of the things I have done to troubleshoot as I hope that someone with more knowledge can get both of us set straight.

First, I am curious to know if your headlights work full time when you use the brights. For me, the brights always work and the regular beam will cut in and out. OP, do your bright lights work every time? Try it out and see if they are reliable. If they do then if one of us solves the problem we both win. Also, do you have an aftermarket radio? I ask because the light sensors are right behind the radio. I do have an aftermarket radio if it makes any difference.

I replaced the headlight switch which did not help.

I checked all of the fuses.

I checked the relay with a jumper wire.

I used a voltage meter at the connector for the headlamps to make sure it was not my bulbs and the issue existed behind the connector, it did.

I don't drive at night often, but it is very annoying and I always forget about the lights until it is too late, so I would love to get this fixed. I am considering a trip to the dealership if I can't fix this before a big cross-country drive next summer, it would be great too solve this on the cheap.

Good luck to us OP~!
So I just started as a member and your post is actually the reason why. Did you ever get your off and on headlight issue resolved? If so, what was the cause.
Thanks

So I just started as a member and your post is actually the reason why. Did you ever get your off and on headlight issue resolved? If so, what was the cause.
Thanks
You may not get a reply since member hasn't been on site since 2018.
(FYI hover courser over person's name and you can see when they last logged in.)

Back