• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2005 Avalanche Snapped tailgate handle - DIY REPAIR AND UPGRADE

MrMadman7

I recently snapped the tailgate handle on my 2005 Avalanche. Upon searching for a replacement I found that all of the available and affordable options had poor reviews stating that they also broke after a short period of use. I saw a billet metal replacement handle for sale, but it was well over $100. Frustrated with my findings I examined the handle mechanism and decided that I would attempt to make my own replacement part. First I used a dremel to shave down the pins holding the original handle in place in conjunction with some vice grips, a hammer, and a punch to remove the pins. I looked through what I had available on hand in my garage and got to work. I shaped two long bolts with my vise and a hammer to make shape of the handle hinge and actuating lever. I drilled holes in them for the hinges and I cut the heads off. I then used a small scrap piece of aluminum to make the handle face. I bolted the assembly into the tailgate, replacing the original hinge pins with a simple bolt with double nuts. At this point the handle worked, but didn't look as good as the original. I used my dremel to remove the front face of the original handle and used JB Weld Marine Weld to attach it the the exposed bolt ends, nuts, and aluminum. The handle now looks and functions as the original did, however it is much stronger. The only difference is that I did not care to install a spring return for the handle to pull it back to its resting position, but this is not an issue, because the new handle is heavier and has minor resistance to motion, so it stays in place.

Google drive link to pictures of repair: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_z3FS10DR2HIUHoAV8-p4r6BYVE-kHX6

That's an interesting fix madman (y)

GREAT repair!!!!  Saw someone at work if the field try to fix theirs .
Should last for years.

Back