• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2013 and Active Fuel Management

No Tyme

SM 2018
SM 2017
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
Is there any notification of when this kicks in? I have had my 13 AV with the 5.3 since January and have not noticed a change when or if this activated. Not sure if previous owner de-activated it or what.
One thing I have noticed was a flat spot when driving along at say 45 or 50 and after applying a small amount of pedal pressure NO noticeable change in RPM of speed. A little more pressure would result in the same response until I applied enough pressure down on the pedal so the AV drops a gear and rpm's pick up. At 70 K I thought it may need a bit of cleaning so I cleaned out the throttle body, MAF and added a new air filter, AEM dry and not much change. Then I added a bottle of Amsoil PI to the tank and NOW I really see acceleration with a small amount of pedal pressure.
My engine is stock and will keep it that way but this Active Fuel Management has me wondering if it is working.

I don't know about a 2013 AV but in earlier years the DIC had a display where when you had the fuel economy display visible it would also show V8 and V4 mode to indicate if the AFM was on or off....

Vaeagleav said:
I don't know about a 2013 AV but in earlier years the DIC had a display where when you had the fuel economy display visible it would also show V8 and V4 mode to indicate if the AFM was on or off....
I drive most of the time in that mode on the DIC and don't see anything referring to AFM mode. If the prior owner would have turned it off the only way I know how to do that is with a custom tune.

I drive around with the DIC in instant MPG mode and I can see it toggle between 'V8' and 'V4' on the screen with a noticeable change in MPG.

greatgab said:
I drive around with the DIC in instant MPG mode and I can see it toggle between 'V8' and 'V4' on the screen with a noticeable change in MPG.

I found it today as I actually went thru the DIC pages as I was driving. Yes it does go into V4 mode but there is no difference while driving.
Thank all for the info.

Just to clarify when I said no change I was referring to sound or performance. I do notice a higher MPG in the DIC but I can't tell any difference in the drivability of the AV.

My guess is that due to the added gears in the transmission and different gear ratios to improve MPG from earlier AVs the 2013 has a smoother transition between v4 and v8 modes so you won't feel it.
Then also maybe due to your sound system or type of exhaust (stock or not?) you may not be able to hear the change in modes. I know with my 2008 I have to have the stereo off,windows down to hear a slight change in sound even with my Corsa Sport exhaust and GM performance CAI but have never felt much of a change in performance since I have owned my 2008. (AFM still on and so far no issues for me.)

Vaeagleav said:
My guess is that due to the added gears in the transmission and different gear ratios to improve MPG from earlier AVs the 2013 has a smoother transition between v4 and v8 modes so you won't feel it.
Then also maybe due to your sound system or type of exhaust (stock or not?) you may not be able to hear the change in modes. I know with my 2008 I have to have the stereo off,windows down to hear a slight change in sound even with my Corsa Sport exhaust and GM performance CAI but have never felt much of a change in performance since I have owned my 2008. (AFM still on and so far no issues for me.)

Agree, my 14 Silverado had a Borla PRO XS and you could tell by the sound when it went into V4 mode. My AV is stock as I was getting tired of the sound competing with the stereo. Seeing the AV is a 7,000 sled I chose to enjoy the ride with the capability of using it as a pickup if needed. As I age I have adopted the saying, "It's not how fast you get there, it's how good you look along the way"

I'm running a Corsa Sport cat back exhaust... and I here a 'burp' when going from V4 to V8.

It may be a good idea (and cheaper) ti purchase a AFM Disable ODB Insert vs going to the trouble of installing a complete delete kit.  The AFM system over time will reduce the oil pressure, etc., going to the disabled lifters in which over time will chew up your camshaft.  It also affects oil pressure, oil life and consumption.  This is documented by research.  The AFM was GM's way of getting the mileage up to meet govt reg's.  I purchased a disable ODB insert from Range Technology, around 140 or so.  Will not affect computer readings, etc.,etc.  Go to the actual range Technology site and look around, you may be pleasantly surprised. 

Have a good day folks !

The only bad thing about the Range system I have read in the many older threads discussing it was that it can cause a parasitic drain on the electrical system so if you are an owner who parks his Av for awhile and don't drive it daily you should unplug it from the AV when you park. Some one posted that it is mentioned in the instructions but I guess those who had dead batteries failed to read that section of the directions?

If your a D I Y er you can pick up a delete kit from Texas Speed and Performance for around 800 that comes with the cam. Find a guy who can tune to delete the afm in the computer for under 100 dollars and you will be much happier with the performance. Ask me how I know. I have done a half dozen this way for under 1000 dollars. The wife's Tahoe has it done with a few other tasteful upgrades. She doesn't like the gas mileage but man is it fun getting groceries in that thing.  (y)

Stan said:
It may be a good idea (and cheaper) ti purchase a AFM Disable ODB Insert vs going to the trouble of installing a complete delete kit.  The AFM system over time will reduce the oil pressure, etc., going to the disabled lifters in which over time will chew up your camshaft.  It also affects oil pressure, oil life and consumption.  This is documented by research.  The AFM was GM's way of getting the mileage up to meet govt reg's.  I purchased a disable ODB insert from Range Technology, around 140 or so.  Will not affect computer readings, etc.,etc.  Go to the actual range Technology site and look around, you may be pleasantly surprised. 

Have a good day folks !

Ya, just a follow up. I was running my Range that I had for my 14 Silverado, but had to send it in for an update last fall. I plugged it in when it came back in the mail and have just forgot about it. I agree, keeping the 5.3 from the V4 mode is better than running in V4 mode for longevity.

Back