• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Avalanche Audio / Video Build

White Lightning

My name is Randal Johnson and this is my 2007 Chevy Avalanche LT very slow Audio / Video Build.

gallery_5_7_82563.jpg

gallery_5_7_3096.jpg

This will be a VERY stealthy setup.
This will be more of a Sound Quality oriented system with a little something extra on the Sound Pressure Level side.
Primary focus will be Stage and Image.
Hope you enjoy and please ask questions and I will help as much as I can. Thank You

Primary Equipment list ...

gallery_5_7_95879.jpg

Head Unit - Kenwood DNX9980HD
Front Stage and Image - Linear Power 6.5" Passive Component Set.
Sub Stage - Brutal Sounds "Big Brute" 15" Dual 2 ohm Driver.
Amplification - A Pair of Linear Power 2150 2 Channel Stereo Class A/B Amplifiers.

Simple, Stealthy, and hopefully very effective !!!
Links to Equipment Specs available upon request.

First order of business ... The Head Unit.

Got my Console Head Unit mounting Kit, and the "all bells and Whistles" wiring harness kit for my Kenwood.

med_gallery_5_7_59050.jpg
med_gallery_5_7_142351.jpg

Got my work done with the final touches to the head unit and everything works great !!! Even my steering wheel controls !!!
Looked Complicated, but much easier to install verses my old 1997 Chevy Silverado.

gallery_5_7_69701.jpg

Sweet and Simple.

This is one of the best "Sound" updates you can do to your Avalanche. You would not believe your ears !!!
Something so simple ... a Dash Mat !!!

gallery_5_7_30594.jpg

gallery_5_7_4878.jpg

This is one of the most best kept secrets in the Sound Quality competition industry.
These dash mats prevent waves bouncing off of the vinyl dash hence making the stage and image much easier to verify placement and the sound much more Pronounce.
A must have for the Audiophile !!!

Under the Hood ...

Object to this ride is total stealth, and under the hood is no exception.
So I went to a friend at a salvage yard and checked out a couple of State Trooper Vehicles.
Now beings I don't need massive electrical cause my system should only pull a max draw of 60 amps, I figured this would be perfect.

With this being an Avalanche Forum, everyone should know what a 07 under the hood setup looks like ... So I will just stick to the stealthy upgrades.

gallery_5_7_43623.jpg

Extra battery with the ground directly to the engine with the positive directly to the Alternator. Then less than 18" (normal length of a battery) to my Fuse.
Simple, Sweet, and VERY Effective !!! Going to build battery covers at a later date.

Starting on the Amplifier Rack this week ...

These are the Amplifiers that will be run in this Vehicle (I have a pair) ... http://linearpower.com/LP2150.html
The only difference with MY amplifiers is mine are Prototypes so some specs may be different as listed. Also, modifications have been done since being built.

gallery_5_7_118890.jpg

gallery_5_7_51945.jpg

Small footprint Amplifier(s) will fit nicely under the seats of this vehicle. This is not the actual placement, just thinking how sexy my "plum crazy" purple amplifiers will look in this vehicle !!!

Working with a couple of mixed drinks, a measuring tape, a couple of test dummies, and some VERY well recorded music ...
I have completely reset the angles of the tweeters.
Both were raised up over the hump of the dash and repositioned more on Axis.
Not necessarily directly to the driver, more like the driver's side tweeter to the passenger's ear and the passenger's tweeter to the driver's ear.

gallery_5_7_11312.jpg

gallery_5_7_45328.jpg

Amazing difference !!! The stage and Image is VERY pronounce !!! Deep onto the hood and beyond the vehicle's side mirrors where everything should be !!!
I had a question if raising the tweeters would create any separation between the tweets and door mid drivers, but I have not heard anything anywhere close to separation.
Thank God this is not the case with my application.

Got a little free time in between calls and thought I'd add a little green to my truck ...
HID GREEN High Beams !!!

gallery_5_7_110514.jpg

Oh yea, let a sum Female Dog throw their brights on me now !!!
Hyper Lights 35w 8000k Green High Beams baby !!! 

I have some Hyper Lights 15w White HIDS that I plan to put into the Back up lenses. They make great back up lights without modifications. Just have to find time.

Back